Connaught Telegraph - County Mayo

Some articles from the Connaught Telegraph from 1996 to 1999

Visit the Connaught Telegraph website for up-to-date news from County Mayo.

 

Westport bridge on the move?


Connaught Telegraph

13 August 1997

by Deirdre Kelly

The controversial bridge at St. Mary's Crescent in Westport could be on the move. The bridge was removed yesterday (Tuesday) and now Deputy Michael Ring has called for it to be given a new home - in Crossmolina.

Mr. Ring said it was good news that the bridge had been taken down after much lobbying from local residents. "There is a family living near Moygownagh in Crossmolina who have a very narrow bridge in to their home," he said, "and the bridge at St. Mary's Crescent would be ideal for them."

The bridge, constructed less than ten years ago, has been the root of some controversy. At last month's meeting of Westport Urban Council, Mr. Martin Keane, a member of the authority, said residents would remove it themselves if the local authority failed to do so within a month. Westport Town Manager, Mr. Padraig Hughes, said the bridge would be removed by the council within a day. However he could not confirm what plans the council had for the bridge.






Connaught Telegraph - News & Sport - August1997