10 September 1997
by Tom Kelly
The Mayo County G.A.A. Board has denied speculation that representations have been made to the Games Administration Committee regarding the appointment of the referee for the All-Ireland senior football final on September 28th.
Fr. Noel Forde, chairman of the board, told the Connaught Telegraph that no contact whatsoever had not been made with the G.A.A. authorities about the issue. He made his statement following claims that Monaghan official Pat McEnaney could be one of the officials being considered for the big match between Mayo and Kerry at Croke Park.
The 35-years-old referee caused furore in last year's decider against Meath when he sent off Mayo's Liam McHale following a melee in the replay. The highly-rated official also made a number of other controversial decisions which infuriated the Mayo players, officials and supporters.
Sources within the county board privately believe it is unlikely that McEvaney will secure the prestigious appointment for the second consecutive years.They feel a referee from the Leinster area will be the most suitable choice.Wexford's Brian White and Tipperary's Paddy Russell are considered to be among the frontrunners for the job.
It has been an accepted practice in the past that the two counties competing in the All-Ireland final are given the option of nominating the names of three referees they feel would be best suited to take charge of the final. But Fr. Forde made it clear such a practice did not operate this year.
He stated: "We have made no input into the selection process. "There is a lot of speculation and most of it is totally without foundation. The ultimate decision on the appointment of the referee rests with the Games Administration Committee, and we will accept whatever decision they make."
Fr. Forde said they expected a decision on the appointment sometime today (Wednesday).











