10 September 1997
Cash haul from safe at Knock Airport
Gardai are continuing their investigation into the theft of a sum believed to be in the region of £10,000 from a safe in the duty free area of Knock Airport.The money was reported stolen on August 28th after the airport had been open all night to cater for pilgrims whose flight to Lourdes was delayed by some 19 hours.
A senior garda said yesterday (Tuesday) that investigations are continuing. According to the Garda, "a number of leads" are being pursued in the case. He was reluctant, however, to discuss the circumstances of the theft or the ongoing investigation in any detail.
Castlebar crime: man charged
Gardai in Castlebar have charged a man in connection with a number of recent house break-ins and car thefts in the town and surrounding area.The man, who is from Belfast, is expected to appear in court later.
As well as house thefts, Castlebar Gardai are investigating serious damage to an ESB plate glass window at the Board's showrooms in Charles Street on Monday morning.
Large blocks were hurled repeatedly at the window which shattered but failed to break. A Garda spokesman said: "We don't know whether this was an attempted break-in or vandalism".
Council investigate tiphead intimidation
Mayo County Council are investigating claims that people using the tiphead, off the main Castlebar to Newport roadway, are being subjected to abuse and intimidation.The move is being made following a number of complaints lodged with the authority.
It is understood that householders leaving refuse at the site are being hassled by trespassers.There is also concern about the health hazard being caused by trespassers who spend time searching through rubbish bags.
Said a spokesman for the council: "We are carrying out our own enquiry.The matter is one of great concern to us and we want to ensure that people can use the dump without fear of being hassled by people who should not be there in the first place."
Garda talks on drug problem at Castlebar Masses
A Garda officer made a little bit of local history on Sunday when he spoke at all Masses in the Church of the Holy Rosary in Castlebar at the request of the clergy in the parish.
Garda Brendan Coyne, Juvenile Liaison Officer with An Garda Siochana, spoke on the perils of drugs. He urged parents to inform themselves about drugs and to take positive action to ensure they did not become a scourge in their family.
Parents should ensure they always know the whereabouts of their teenagers and who they are socialising with, Garda Coyne stated.
Last Sunday, the Hierarchy issued a pastoral letter on the drugs situation. Garda Coyne, who has first hand knowledge of the local drugs problem, was asked by Fr. Paddy Curran, Parish Priest, to speak at all Masses in Castlebar.
Charlestown actors are Israel bound
One of Mayo's most successful drama groups, Charlestown Theatre Group, is to continue its globetrotting next month with a historic trip to Israel.The 16 to 18 strong Group will perform Brian Friel's "Aristocrats" at performances in Tel-Aviv and the seaside town of Netanya.
Mr. Paddy Henry, a leading member of Charlestown Theatre Group, explained last night (Tuesday): " We will arrive in Israel on October 3Ist and depart on November 8th. There are quite a lot of Irish people in Israel and we are looking forward very much to performing for them. We picked "Aristocrats" for this tour because it has universal appeal".
Two years ago, the Charlestown Group performed at the Irish College in Rome. Rehearsals for the Israel tour are in full swing at the moment.
Heritage day Cricket match
A special cricket match will be played on Castlebar's Mall on Sunday as part of the town's Heritage Day celebrations.
The demonstration at 1p.m. will feature Pakistani Doctors, based in the area and it will be played on what was once Lord Lucan's private cricket grounds.
The Heritage day is expected to attracts thousands of visitors to the town where there will be many attractions available from 12 noon. Included will be an animal farm, vintage vehicles, puppet show, face painting, musical entertainment and items of interest to all the family.
Inishturk Ferry launch
The official launching of the Caher Star ferry, serving Inishturk Island, takes place on Sunday.
Skippered by islander John V. Heanue, the 23 tonne craft, is the first registered ferry operating between Inishturk and the mainland.The custom built vessel is licensed by the Department of the Marine to carry twelve passengers and operates between Inishturk harbour and Cleggan (Galway) and Roonagh Pier (Mayo).
The official launch of the Caher Star will be performed by Mayo County Manager, Mr. Des Mahon at 2 pm.
Neighbourhood Youth Project
EU Commissioner Padraig Flynn will officially launch the new Castlebar Neighbourhood Youth Project in Castlebar Boxing Club on Friday evening (7.30 pm).
This is a community-based resource providing a range of day-care activities and programmes for young people. It is a joint initiative between the Western Health Board and Foróige and is the first project of its kind to link statutory and voluntary bodies for the provision of a combined family support/informal education service.
The project has already run a six week summer programme involving 75 local young people. Activities undertaken ranged from radio and media skills to the challenge of outdoor pursuits.
Mayo Person's Reunion
Twenty-two past winners of the Mayo Person of the Year will attend a gala re-union at Pontoon Bridge Hotel on Friday September 19 where the guest of honour will be Norma Smurfitt and the guest speaker will be John Maughan, the Mayo GAA team manager.
The event will honour those who were accorded the accolade from 1964 to 1996 and the proceeds from the function will go to Mayo Rehab.
Earlier in the day the guests will receive a civic reception from Mayo County Council and they will attend a special mass in Ballintubber Abbey as well as a tree planting ceremony in Ballyvary.











