17 September 1997
Government lashed for failing Erris flood victims
By Tom Shiel
As further floods yesterday (Tuesday) washed away the temporary bridge connecting the village of Glencullen with Bangor -Erris, Government politicians came in for scathing criticism for not doing more to assist farmers who lost crops and suffered damage to property in the flash-deluge last July.
Damage estimated at up to £1 million was caused to roads and property on July 12th when a "wall of water" came rushing from the hills down the Glencullen Valley sweeping fences; bales of silage and even live sheep in its path. One farmer, Peter McMenamon was made homeless by the floodwaters which inundated his recently refurbished home destroying furniture, carpets and wallpaper. The flood washed away part of Glencullen Bridge but the structure was later temporarily repaired. Mayo County Council has sought tenders for a replacement structure which will cost in the region of £250,000. However, the main route between Glencullen and Bangor was again closed yesterday (Tuesday) as Mayo County Council workmen began repairs to open the route again.
Detour
According to the County Council it will be sometime next week before the bridge is open again. Some ten local families will have to make a 15 mile detour in order to get to Bangor.
Local County Councillor, Padraig Cosgrove, who visited the area yesterday morning, said there was a lot of local anger that promises of assistance made to landowners in July had turned out to be "empty platitudes". Councillor Cosgrove added: "After the July flood there was a lot of hot air and hullabaloo as politicians descended on Glencullen with mobile phones and video cameras. "There were attempts to cod people into thinking there would be compensation for the loss of harvest and property but no money has ever materialised. As far as I am concerned, some politicians were trying to make capital out of peoples' misfortunes".
The Shore Road at Bunnacurry, Achill was impassable for some time yesterday (Tuesday) after heavy overnight rain caused a river to overflow. Some local people were unable to get to work as the road was flooded to a depth of 18 inches in places. The problem is a recurring one and residents have demanded that Mayo County Council take action. Yesterday, visiting exile John Davitt said the Council needs to do something to repair a footbridge at the Shore Road which is dangerous, especially for children
However, Ballina based Minister of State, Dr. Tom Moffatt rejected Councillor Cosgrove's assertions that the flood victims had been handed "empty promises". "I would not agree that nothing is being done", Dr. Moffatt stated. "I will continue to press the Minister for Agriculture, Joe Walsh on the matter."
Submissions
Dr. Moffatt said submissions for assistance had been made to the Office of Public Works (OPW) and the Department of Agriculture but neither appeared to have special funds available. The Minister explained that money had been secured from the Department recently for potato farmers in Donegal who had sustained losses due to weather but that was an exceptional case and the damages sustained by North Mayo farmers were not as significant. "There might be some hope later on in regard to those who lost crops", Dr. Moffatt added.
A spokesman for Mayo County Council said yesterday (Tuesday) that the temporary bridge at Glencullen had been damaged and put out of action by the floods on Monday night/Tuesday morning. It was hoped to have the temporary bridge back in working order within a week, the spokesman added. Plans are moving forward for a permanent new structure at Glencullen. According to the Council spokesman, the detailed design for the bridge is being finalised and site investigation works are taking place with a view to having work on the bridge commenced in the near future.











