Connaught Telegraph - County Mayo

Some articles from the Connaught Telegraph from 1996 to 1999

Visit the Connaught Telegraph website for up-to-date news from County Mayo.

 

'GIVE US ONE MORE CHANCE' - PLEADS MANAGER


Connaught Telegraph

GAA
1 October 1997

Maughan apologised to supporters for defeat

By Tom Kelly

'We'll be back.'

That was the message which rang out loud and clear from the Mayo team following their arrival back in the county on Monday night following their All-Ireland football final defeat at the hands of Kerry 24 hours earlier.

Diehard football supporters in the county turned out in their thousands to welcome home the footballers heartbroken by their second consecutive All-Ireland football final defeat.

Despite the grievous disappointment of losing to Kerry, the crowds on Castlebar's Mall, where special safety barriers had been erected by Mayo County Council staff, exceeded all expectations.

Although he admitted that getting to another All-Ireland now was a formidable mountain to climb, team manager John Maughan told the large gathering what they wanted to hear when he pledged his commitment to the Mayo cause for another championship.

There was a huge cheer when Maughan promised to give it "one last shot" and he asked the team members to stick with him for the 1998 bid to bring Sam Maguire to Mayo.

Throughout the length and breadth of Mayo, there has been disappointment, even dejection, at the meek manner in which the team folded to Kerry's challenge on Sunday.

But this was not reflected by lower turnouts at the homecoming ceremonies. The team arrived in Castlebar well after dark after brief stops in Ballyhaunis and Claremorris.

Maughan admitted to being gutted by the defeat but promised to "keep the chins up" and carry on for one more year. He apologised to the supporters for failing to beat Kerry. "We did not do ourselves justice. That is sport. We are going to stick at it and give it one more crack."

Pat Kilbane, chairman, Mayo County Council, welcomed the team and officials on their arrival in an open air bus from Castlebar Railway Station. He thanked the team for giving the county such outstanding entertainment and described manager John Maughan as an inspirational figure'.

"We will live to fight another day. We may be down but we are not beaten. We can accept an honourable defeat."

Mick Byrne, chairman of Castlebar Mitchels, thanked the supports for turning out in such large numbers. He said Galway, Dublin and Cork had lost two All-Ireland finals before winning one, and Mayo could do the same.

"What we don't need at this point are the knockers," he added.

Noel Connelly, team captain, said he understood the heartbreak the supporters were suffering. He stood in the Canal End in 1989 when Mayo lost to Cork in the final.

"We need your support now more than ever. I promise that this Mayo panel will bring Mayo the credit it deserves."

The chairman of Mayo County GAA Board, Noel Forde, said he was gutted and devastated the same as everybody, but it was important to be positive and look to the future.

He said he was delighted that manager John Maughan was staying on for another year. "Let's keep going and stick together," he added.

The homecoming was very professionally organised by a team headed by Garda Superintendent Joe Staunton, Sean Murphy, chief fire officer, and Padraig Hughes, county secretary.

As the crows waited for their heros, they were entertained by Castlebar Concert Band, Balla Pipe Band, Kiltimagh Pipe Band and popular local group Concorde.

He master of ceremonies for the occasion was Dermot Langan, the well known Westport councillor and former RTE disc jockey.






Connaught Telegraph - News & Sport -October1997