Connaught Telegraph - County Mayo

Some articles from the Connaught Telegraph from 1996 to 1999

Visit the Connaught Telegraph website for up-to-date news from County Mayo.

 

Snippets


Connaught Telegraph


1 October 1997

Jailed for subway attack on Mayo priest

FOUR MEN have been given prison sentences totalling 9 years and 8 months by a New York court for a vicious attack on a County Mayo priest while he was visiting the city earlier this year.

Fr. Stephen O'Mahony, Principal of Scoil Muire agus Phadraig, Swinford, had to receive numerous stitches when a broken bottle was thrust in his face. Money was stolen in the mugging which took place on a subway.

Four men were arrested almost immediately afetr the mugging which received widespread publicity both here and in the States. Fr. O'Mahony has made a good recovery from his ordeal.

Westport House vandalised

ONE of Mayo's leading tourist attractions is coming under attack from vandals.

Over the past two weeks historic Westport House, owned by Lord Altamont, has been the target of several vandalism incidents.

A spokesperson for the country estate said two windows in the main house, which attracted record numbers of visitors this summer, were broken in the past week.

A fence was ripped up and thrown in a lake.

The spokesperson said the image of shutters on the smashed windows created a poor impression to people visiting the stately house which is open to the public. Wanton vandalism damaged the tourism industry.

Westport-based Superintendent Frank Gunter said yesterday (Tuesday) specific complaints will be dealt with.

Police seek relatives of dead Mayoman

POLICE in Britain are anxious to trace the Irish relatives of 66 year old Michael Neary, believed to be from the Mayo area who was found dead in a London flat earlier this year.

Mr. Neary died from natural causes. The only clue as to Mr. Neary's relatives is a chess book on which is written: "Happy Birthday 1973. Auntie Maureen, Uncle Ed (Edward Neary, Ardollaghan, Ballina ).

PC Peter Parry in Catford is anxious to hear from the dead man's relatives. His number is : 0044 181 695 1212.

Kirkintilloch video

RECENT ceremonies in Kirkintilloch, Scotland to mark the 60th anniversary of a tragic bothy fire in which ten Achill potato pickers lost their lives have been captured on a video which has been edited and put together by Bunnacurry man, Peadar McHugh.

Altogether there were some 130 people of Achill extraction at the Kirkintilloch remembrance including Pat Kilbane, Chairman of Mayo County Council; Kay Sweeney from Achill, who lost a sister in the blaze and Mrs. Annie Kilroy whose three brothers perished.

The video is available now from Peadar McHugh - 098 47108.

Ballyhaunis man dies in Croke Park

SUNDAY'S All-Ireland final was cruelly marred for Ballyhaunis people by the sudden death in the Stands of GAA stalwart Noel Waldron, a former businessman in the town.

Mr. Waldron, who was in his sixties, collapsed and died during the game. He has been a Mayo supporter all his life and a prominent member of Ballyhaunis GAA Club.

Another deeply regretted east Mayo death is that of Michael J. Lyons of Ballinacostello, Aghamore, father of former prominent footballer, Jimmy Lyons. Mr. Lyons is also survived by his wife, Margaret; daughters, Mary, Attracta; Audrey and Margaret and sons, Liam, Pascal and Tommy.

Burial took place yesterday (Tuesday) in Aughamore Cemetery.

Inishbiggle Cable car appeal

THE oral appeal by Inishbiggle Island Co-Operative against the refusal of Mayo County Council to grant planning permission for the erection of a £760,000 cable car link to the island from Bullsmouth will be held at the Mayo County Council chamber, Castlebar on Tuesday and Wednesday October 14 and 15.

The council shot down planning permission for the 600m long cable car structure because the authority claimed it would lessen the scenic value of the area.

The 24 families on Inishbiggle have to make the treacherous 400 yard crossing in open currachs as there is no licensed ferry service to the island.






Connaught Telegraph - News & Sport -October1997