8 October 1997
Youngsters back with jail parents
By Tom Shiel
CONCERN HAS been expressed by the Irish Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Children (ISPCC) over the fact that a teenage daughter and a young grandchild of a Mayo couple who served a jail sentence for cruelty are back living in the family home.
The girl, now aged 17, had been in the care of the Western Health Board but returned recently to live with her parents, Desmond and Susan Fitzgerald.
Also living with the Fitgeralds in their new County Council dwellinghouse at Tonroe, Carracastle, near Charlestown, is an adult daughter and her young son.
SENTENCE
Three years ago, the parents admitted being cruel to a 15 year old daughter who later died. They served a prison sentence in Mountjoy.
The death, inquest and subsequent trial attracted major publicity here and overseas. Strong feelings were expressed at the time that none of the couples' six children should ever be allowed back into the care of their parents.
Kelly Fitzgerald passed away three days after being flown back to London from Knock Airport.
The girl, who had been a secondary school student in Charlestown, died from a condition known as septicaemia (blood poisoning).
When she was admitted to St. Thomas's Hospital, a specialist there found that the girl's body was bruised and emaciated. But the State, in its prosecution, made it clear that that it was not part of their case that any acts of the two accused had contributed in any way to the girl's death.
Yesterday (Tuesday), Mr. Cian O'Tighearnaigh of the ISPCC said his organisation was "extremely concerned and worried" over the latest development.
RISK
Mr. O'Tighearnaigh added: "We would be seriously concerned to hear that a child and grandchild of the Fitzgerald parents are back in the family home not least in the light of the high level of risk that is in the family which is absolutely confirmed by the Inquiry Report.
"We would also draw attention to pages 141 to 144 of the Inquiry Report and in the light of what it says there and in the light of the entirety of the Report I would say we are extremely concerned and worried".
The Chief Executive of the Western Health Board, Mr. Eamon Hannan said he had no comment to make on the situation when contacted yesterday (Tuesday) by the Connaught Telegraph.
In a faxed message from this paper on Monday, Mr. Hannan was also asked what monitoring procedures are in place to ensure the continued wellbeing of the young people who are now back in the Fitzgerald home.
Mr. Charles Kelly, solicitor for the Fitzgerald parents, said: "The matter has been through the courts. Everything that has been done was done in compliance with a Court Order. That court was held in camera. Any further comment on the matter would be dangerous".











