|
The chairman of Castlebar Urban Council has condemned the Dublin to Westport train service as 'a timebomb.' Mr. Blackie Gavin said it was essential serious political pressure was put on Irish Rail to upgrade the line as well as providing a more modern train service to the West of Ireland. He called on the four local authorities in the county to come together for a joint meeting on the situation. "If it was the Asahi train that had been derailed a number of weeks ago, it would have had disastrous consequences. "We cannot let Irish Rail off the hook at more. It is time they delivered on their promise of a super train and a super line for Mayo." He proposed holding talks with An Tanaiste, Mary Harney, when she visited Castlebar on Friday, December 12th. Members of the council joined with Mr. Gavin in castigating Irish Rail over the derailment of the Dublin to Westport train at Knockcroghery a number of weeks ago. Mr. Frank Durcan said Irish Rail were lucky they did not have a catastrophe on their hands. He claimed the transport company were not learning from the lessons of the past. "A similar incident happened 12 months previously but it was kept quiet." Mr. Durcan said it was important a letter of protest was lodged with the Transport Minister, Mary O'Rourke, outlining the concerns of the people of Mayo. "It is obvious the line is not maintained to a good enough standard. We have to ensure it is upgraded or lives will be lost in the future." Mr. Paddy McGuinness said he was aware of a map of the European train network which did not include the line from Athlone to Westport. "That section of line does not exist as far as the E.U. is concerned." Mr. McGuinness said the reason the line was the only one in the country not making money was because Irish Rail was not investing money on it. "I have been highlighting this matter for a long time. But nothing has happened. The E.U. allocated £7m for the upgrading of the Irish Rail network, but all the money was spent in Dublin. It's a disgrace." Mr. McGuinness praised Castlebarman, Dr. Darragh Corcoran, for the manner in which he spoke on the matter on RTE television. Mr. Johnny Mee said the Westport line was promised a supertrain for years but the people of Mayo were still waiting. "We have to fight, shout and roar for everything. We are treated like second class citizens by all the major political parties. They hoodwink us at election time." Mr. Eoin Garavan said the service provided by Irish Rail on the Dublin to Westport line was not good enough. "To be honest, I would be afraid to travel on the line now. There have been too many distressing incidents." Mr. Paul Ainsworth said it was wrong that the people living in the West of Ireland were being consistently treated as second class citizens. He added a case should be put to Irish Rail to immediately upgrade the line. |











