Connaught Telegraph - County Mayo

Some articles from the Connaught Telegraph from 1996 to 1999

Visit the Connaught Telegraph website for up-to-date news from County Mayo.

 

April start for £25m hospital project

Our Logo
7 January 1998

WORK is scheduled to commence in April on the £25 million extension to Mayo General Hospital, the Chief Executive of the Western Health Board, Dr. Sheelah Ryan has confirmed.

Tenders closed last month for the long awaited Phase Two Development and the Health Board is currently working with the Department of Health Design Team in examining the list of applicants.

Dr. Ryan told a Board meeting in Galway on Monday that it is planned to issue tender documentation towards the end of January 1998 and that work will commence in April.

The CEO also revealed that a study has been commissioned to identify the Pathology requirements at the Mayo General in the context of the major developments associated with the impending Phase 11 Development.

Dr. Ryan said the findings of this report will be used as a basis for determining the staffing and resource needs of the Laboratory and any restructuring or re-organisation that may be required.

One of the Board members for the Mayo area, Councillor Al McDonnell has welcomed the news that major progress is being made towards the provision of Phase Two. He said that when completed hospital facilities in Mayo will be among the most modern and up to date in the country.

Another Board member, Councillor John Flannery has suggested that space created at the hospital by the provision of Phase Two should be utilised to create accommodation for the growing numbers of dependent elderly people in the region.

 


Connaught Telegraph - News & Sport - January 1998