Connaught Telegraph - County Mayo

Some articles from the Connaught Telegraph from 1996 to 1999

Visit the Connaught Telegraph website for up-to-date news from County Mayo.

 

Internal Fine Gael row over key post

Our Logo
14 January 1998

By Tom Kelly

An internal row is brewing between Fine Gael members of Mayo County Council over a key appointment.

The rumpus started over the nomination of a party member to the governing body of University College Galway for a three year term.

It is understood that senior party member Mr. Sean McEvoy was disappointed when he was opposed for the position by Mr. Pat Higgins, a brother of Fine Gael Dail Deputy, Jim.

According to sources, Mr. McEvoy allowed his name go forward to a vote at a special party meeting.

But such was his annoyance that he did not turn up for the party vote, leaving the way clear for Mr. Higgins.

Mr. Higgins was opposed for the position at Mayo County Council by Mr. Padraig Cosgrove, who as nominated by Mr. Richard Finn and Mr. Johnny Mee.

But the Ballyhaunis-based councillor secured the seat on the vote of 12-3.

The Fianna Fail party abstained in the vote, but Mr. Jackie Heneghan surprising gave his vote to Mr. Cosgrove.

The whole episode is likely to be discussed at a Fine Gael meeting when Mr. McEvoy returns from a trip to America.

However, according to a senior member of the party, Mr. McEvoy did not have a axe to grind with the Fine Gael party.

Said the member: "I don't think he will be making an issue of it. But it is true to say he was annoyed when he was opposed for the position by Mr. Higgins because he felt he had a right to the seat ahead of him."

Mr. McEvoy has been a loyal supporter of Mr. Jim Higgins since his election to Dail Eireann in 1987.

New supermarket to provide 300 extra parking spaces

A proposal to build a second supermarket at Knockacroghery, Castlebar, has been discussed by member of the local Urban Council.

An application is before the authority by S.K. Properties seeking planning permission for the development on a site within close proximity to Dunnes Stores.

Mr. John Condon, town clerk, said approval had been given a number of years ago for a supermarket and shop units on the site.

But the new application before the council did not include shop units.

Mr. Condon added a total of 300 carparking spaces would be provided by the development.

The site in question is owned by Castlebar contracting firm, Mountain View Securities Limited.

Mr. Johnny Mee welcomed the application. He said Castlebar was becoming established as a leading shopping centre in the West of Ireland.

Mr. Frank Durcan said he had no objection to it.

"We need the additional carparking spaces in this area. Perhaps a multi-storey carpark is also needed in this area."

Mr. Mee agreed there was a huge need for extra carparking at the location.

"There is chaos already at the location. When the slipway becomes a freeway, where are people going to park?"

Castlebar Urban Council are holding a special meeting on Thursday, January 29th, and parking will be one of the items on the agenda.


Connaught Telegraph - News & Sport - January 1998