1996/99
For up to date news visit the Connaught Telegraph website.
Gardai badly beaten following Castlebar car chase
11 February 1998
Two gardai were severely beaten and had to receive hospital treatment at the weekend when they were set upon by two men following a car chase near Castlebar.
The officers were released following treatment at the Mayo General Hospital. They had not returned to duty by yesterday (Tuesday).
Senior Gardai are unwilling to divulge too much details of the circumstances of the car-chase and assault. Supt Joe Staunton said they don't want to release too much information in case it affects their enquiries into what is a very serious investigation.
It is known, however, that the Gardai were in a patrol car at Ballinacarriga near the Pontoon Road in the early hours of Sunday morning and gave chase to a car which attracted their attention.
The chase ended when the suspect vehicle crashed on a narrow roadway. There were two men in the car and the passenger at first ran away but then returned to mount a vicious assault on the Gardai. The driver of the car joined in the attack before both men made their escape.
Supt Joe Staunton said the men involved in the attack were not from the Castlebar area. Extensive investigations were being made and a number of people had already been questioned. "This was a very serious assault and a full-scale investigation has been mounted", the Supt said.
Connaught Telegraph - News & Sport - February 1998











