1996/99
For up to date news visit the Connaught Telegraph website.
Chief Supt. defends and clarifies Garda role in wrongful 'drugs' arrest
18 February 1998
The officer in charge of the Mayo Garda Division, Chief Supt. John Carey has reacted to allegations made on radio by a 60-year-old mother, wrongly arrested on suspicion of being a drug dealer. The woman, Kathleen Stianzi (nee Gaughan) from Ballina and her daughter Rebecca received a formal State apology last week over the incident which occurred in Castlebar on Sunday May 2, 1993. The couple were arrested near Castlebar Swimming pool and taken into custody.
Chief Supt. Carey said last night he did not question the decision of the High Court but he felt it necessary to correct some of the allegations made by Mrs. Stianzi. He was satisfied the couple did not have drugs and were not involved in any criminal activity on the date in question.
He stressed Mrs. Stianzi was not assaulted or abused in any way during the course of her detention. She co-operated fully. Her detention was for the purpose of search and was carried out in accordance with normal Garda procedures.
Chief Supt. Carey stated: "She was detained for the purpose of search by two members in full uniform; and a third member who was wearing a civilian jacket over his uniform. None of the members were wearing trench coat.
"They were travelling in a marked patrol car. Her daughter Rebecca was allowed to bring her poodle to the Garda Station.
"She was detained for one hour and 35 minutes -- 12.50p.m. to 2.25p.m. The reason the search took this time was that Gardai were awaiting a female member who had to travel 12 miles. This was a Sunday morning.
"She was not strip searched by anyone while in Garda custody. A normal body search was carried out by a female member which did not involve the removal of any clothing. There was only this female member present when this was done."
The Chief Supt. Said Mrs. Stianzi was allowed to speak to her husband on the telephone immediately on her arrival in the station. As a result Gardai tried to contact two solicitors on her behalf. Neither was available. A doctor did visit and examine her in private.
He said an inspector was on duty and within ten minutes of her request he spoke to her in his office. This was as a result of her own request and not at the insistence of the doctor.
Chief Supt. Carey said the woman made no complaint leaving the station and this was recorded in the Custody Record.
She subsequently made a complaint to the Garda Complaints Board who carried out a full investigation. They found that no member of the Gardai were culpable. And the Garda Representative Association issued a statement expressing their concern about the media coverage following the High Court ruling.











