Connaught Telegraph - County Mayo

Some articles from the Connaught Telegraph from 1996 to 1999

Visit the Connaught Telegraph website for up-to-date news from County Mayo.

1996/99

For up to date news visit the Connaught Telegraph website.

Cigs "sting"- defended by Health Board 

4 March 1998

By Tom Shiel

THE Western Health Board has defended its use of children to "trap" retailers in the region who were suspected of selling cigarettes to minors.

Last week, in the first ever such prosecutions of their kind, the Board secured convictions against Ballina shop owner/publican James Coyle and a Galway City shopkeeper for illegally selling cigarettes to underage persons.

The convictions, however, were controversial. After his case, Mr. Coyle, who has a premises at Clare Street, Ballina claimed he had been "set up" by the Board.

However, the so-called "sting" operation mounted by the Board received the support of members at a Board meeting in Galway on Monday.

REASSURED

Board Chief Executive, Ms Sheelah Ryan said she was very reassured by the support expressed by members and stressed that smoking posed a very serious threat to the health of young people in this country.

In some countries, smokng was looked upon as a form of child abuse, the CEO stated.

Ms. Ryan said the campaign involving the use of youngsters had been very carefully thought out and the parents were nearby when the cigarettes were being purchased. The children were free to back out at any time, the CEO added.

"The legislation could not have been tested without the co-operation of the children", Ms. Ryan emphasised.

Mayo Board member, Dr. Diarmuid McLoughlin (Swinford) wanted to know whether the Board might be able to employ similar methods in tackling the problem of under-age drinking.


Connaught Telegraph - News & Sport - March 1998