Connaught Telegraph - County Mayo

Some articles from the Connaught Telegraph from 1996 to 1999

Visit the Connaught Telegraph website for up-to-date news from County Mayo.

1996/99

For up to date news visit the Connaught Telegraph website.

Coca Cola plant to create £25m spin-off in Ballina region

11 March 1998

NORTH MAYO JOBS BOOST A TRIBUTE TO TASK FORCE

By Tom Gillespie

There was jubilation in North Mayo last night with the announcement by Coca Cola, the global soft drinks company, that they were to invest $160 million to establish a new concentrate plant in Ballina.

The complex, which will employ 150 high calibre jobs, will be located on an eight acre green field site at Belleek in the town. During the construction stage of the complex there will be up to 1,000 workers employed on the project.

The Government, yesterday (Tuesday) approved of the deal which is being backed by Forbairt.

Details of the multi-mullion pound project were announced by the Minister for Agriculture and Food Mr. Joe Walsh and Tanaiste Ms. Mary Harney at press conferences in Dublin and Ballina.

The announcement comes in the wake of the closure of the Asahi plant in Killala last year with the loss of 350 jobs

Since then the North Mayo Enterprise Initiative has been pressing for a replacement industry to boost jobs in the region.

Welcoming the announcement Minister Walsh said it reflected the long standing relationship between Ireland and the Coca Cola company.

The investment was further proof of the transformation in the Irish food industry which was being assisted by the Food Sub Programme of the Operational programme for Industrial development.

Minister Walsh added that the investment for Mayo underlined the important role which the food industry plays in the rural economy and was a catalyst for rural development.

Tanaiste Mary Harney added;'This is particular good news for North Mayo which last year suffered major job losses with the closure of the Asahi plant in Killala.'

She paid particular tribute to the North Mayo Enterprise Initiative which was established last July and which has worked relentlessly in the pursuit of employment opportunities for the region.

Once up and running, she said, the operation is expected to generate a £25m annual spend in the economy and additional spin-off employment arising from sub supply opportunities.

The new plant, the Tanaiste added, would be a global supplier exporting to Coca Cola bottlers on four continents.

Mr. Dan Flinter, Chief Executive, Forbairt added;'Ireland benefits considerably from oversees food investment with over 100 overseas food companies operating in Ireland and employing almost 13,000 people. 'Forbairt will continue to work with the company during its start-up phase to maximise the potential for sub supply opportunities for indigenous companies, particularly for construction products/raw material services.'

Mr. James Edward Higgins, assistant Vice President and Director, Global Concentrate Manufacturing, the Coca Cola company also emphasised the long standing and deep-rooted association between Ireland and the Coca Cola Company.

'Our Irish concentrate operations have played an important role in supplying our global bottling system since 1974, this role is being greatly enhanced by this announcement.'

The Coca Cola Company was founded in Atlanta, Georgia, USA in 1892. It now has an unrivalled growth record and a current market value of $165 billion, operating in nearly 200 countries with 30,000 employees worldwide.

It is hoped that work on the erection of the plant will get underway this year and production should commence before the turn of the century.

Welcoming the announcement, local Minister of State, Mr. Tom Moffatt said being involved in food safety point of view it was a pleasure to commend all those associated with astricting the new plant to Ballina. 'This is something we have been looking seeking for a long time. 'This Government has ben criticised for neglecting the West and in particular North Mayo. But this shows the commitment the Government has to North Mayo and the Ballina regional in particular. 'Not alone will this help the Ballina region but it will help all the hinterland. We look at this as only the beginning. We will continue to strive for other jobs.'

Deputy Beverley Cooper-Flynn said the announcement of the new plant was a major breakthrough for North Mayo on the jobs front.

She added:'The announcement allied to the spin-off benefits for Ballina and its hinterland is the most important advance in decades in addressing the problems of North Mayo.'

She paid tribute to the North Mayo Task Force, headed by Mayo County Manager, Des Mahon. 'I am confident that the Coca Cola investment in Ballina will prove to be the start of a new era of prosperity and economic activity for the whole county.'


Connaught Telegraph - News & Sport - March 1998