Connaught Telegraph - County Mayo

Some articles from the Connaught Telegraph from 1996 to 1999

Visit the Connaught Telegraph website for up-to-date news from County Mayo.

1996/99

For up to date news visit the Connaught Telegraph website.

Snippets 

1 April 1998

Human bones found at Taugheen sandpit

GARDAI were called to Taugheen, Claremorris on Monday after what is believed to be human remains were found during excavations in a sandpit.

Digging was immediately stopped at the site and Gardai, who carried out a full examination of the area, were summoned.

A number of human bones were uncovered and these have been sent to Trinity College in Dublin for examination.

A Garda spokesman in Claremorris said yesterday (Tuesday): 'No foul play or anything like that is suspected. These bones date back hundreds of years or possibly further'.

The owner of the sandpit, who does not wish to be identified at this stage, said excavation work had been suspended following the discovery earlier this week by a machine driver. The site has been sealed off pending further examination to determine whether there are further graves there.

Beaten Path to reopen soon

THE FORMER Beaten Path establishment at Brize, Claremorris, is to reopen under new management. Mr. Richard Keogh, trading as Abbeycastle Lodge Limited, was granted a restaurant licence at Balla Court in respect of the Central Mayo premises. He has also obtained a transfer of the existing bar licence from the previous licensees, Palisgate Limited.

Mr. Keogh told the court he had installed a new bar, restaurant, and kitchen area in the buildings, while the existing function room had been ungraded. It is expected the premises will reopen for business within the coming weeks.

The Beaten Path was one of the most popular dance venues in the West of Ireland when it first opened almost 20 years ago under the ownership of Gay and Carmel Nevin. The premises was trading as West Point when it closed down a number of years ago.

Castlebar Chamber dinner

THE annual Castlebar Chamber of Commerce dinner dance will be held in Breaffy House Hotel, Castlebar on Saturday night April 18.

The guest speaker for the evening will be Mr. Kevin Kelly, managing director of AIB Bank. Tickets at £25 each are now available from the Chamber office at New Antrim Street (094-24845).

The chairman of the Chamber Social Sub Committee, Mr. Tom Joyce said the occasion would commence at 7.30p.m. and dinner would be served at 9p.m. The main sponsors of the evening are Esat Digifone.

Passion Play in Ballintubber Abbey

A PASSION Play will be staged at Ballintubber Abbey, near Castlebar on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday next, commencing each evening at 9p.m.

This is the tenth year that the Passion Play has been portrayed by the people of Ballintubber. The event lasts one hour and those attending should bring suitable clothing as it is staged outdoors.

Ambulance Corps tests

THE Order of Malta Ambulance Corps Connaught competitions will be held at St. Gerald's College, Castlebar on Sunday. Teams from units across the Provence will compete in various First Aid and Ambulance competitions.

Members of the public are invited to come alone and view the events. The competitions get underway at 2p.m.

Lifeboat mercy mission

ACHILL Lifeboat transferred a sick crewman from a Spanish-British registered trawler to Cloughmore Pier, Achill on Monday night.

The man, who had been suffering from severe abdominal pains was treated at the pier by Dr. Bernadette O'Leary before being transferred by order of Malta ambulance to the Mayo General Hospital, Castlebar.

Barnacogue school centenary magazine

BARNACOGUE National School, Swinford, marks the 100th year of its foundation with a weekend of celebration on August 1 and 2 next.

A commemorative magazine is also being published and the committee appeal to past pupils to submit photographs, articles of interest, obituaries of a friend or relative, or any other snippets to them as soon as possible.

As there is a publishing deadline to be met the final date for receipt of items is Friday, April 10. Articles can be forwarded to Mrs. Margaret McNicholas, Barnacogue, Swinford, or any committee member.

Scurrilous article condemned as 'a hatchet job'

A FIANNA Fail witch-hunt is underway in Mayo to establish the identity of the local source of a scurrilous article in The Phoenix magazine on March 27th which discredited Mayo Dail Deputy Beverley Cooper Flynn.

Senior officials within the party are furious by the content of the article which includes allegations about the Deputy's private life. They are convinced the article is part of a dirty tricks campaign directed at the popular T.D.

Fianna Fail members also believe a local contact was responsible for providing details to the gossip magazine. They have not ruled out a member of their own party being involved. But it is more likely that the information came from a rival political source.

The article in question has been widely condemned as being 'grossly unfair and insensitive' as well as being 'a hatchet job.'

Lough Lannagh incident being investigated

GARDAI in Castlebar are investigating a report that a JCB was taken from the site of the new holiday village in the town and used to cause damage to the diving board at nearby Lough Lannagh in an after-dark incident. 


Connaught Telegraph - News & Sport - April 1998