1996/99
For up to date news visit the Connaught Telegraph website.
Retired workers should be recruited to fill tourism jobs
13 May 1998
STAFF CRISIS HITS RURAL HOTELS AS TRAINEES OPT FOR THE BRIGHT LIGHTS
By TOM GILLESPIE
THE traditional 'Ireland of the Welcomes' may soon be a thing of the past in rural areas, tourism bosses have revealed.
The situation has arisen because of a chronic staff shortage in the tourism sector with trained staff opting for positions in the major centres of population.
Now hoteliers want action before this unique part of our culture is lost forever. And they have threatened to withhold subscription to Bord Failte, until the trend is reversed. One option suggested to meet the crisis was the employment of retied people.
The matter came to a head at the annual general meeting of Ireland West Tourism when Mayo member, Mr Brendan Geary of Pontoon Bridge Hotel highlighted the staffing crux facing country operators.
He said part of their annual registration fee to Bord Failte went to CERT to meet the costs of training.
But in recent years new hotels had been popping up all over Dublin were these trained staff were attracted to the bright lights.
"There are big carrots dangled in front of them", he said.
Mr. Geary added: "It is very hard to get people who are trained by CERT to come to places like Mayo. So we are getting nothing in return for our money. Personally we have got just two staff in the past ten years. That is not good enough.
"Something will have to be done. Maybe we should withdraw our subscriptions from Bord Failte. We should consider not paying the registration fee in future until we get value for money. We cannot get chefs, kitchen of waiting staff.
"We have a lot of people in this country who have reached the age of 55 people who have retired. The jobs are there in the service industry. But young people will not work on Saturday of Sunday nights.
"But retired people have a wealth of experience. The tourism boom will not continue if we are not able to service it."
Mr. Geary added: "I know hotels who are doing function business that cannot get enough personnel to work nights. That's the way things are going. All the trained staff are going to Dublin."
He said Finance Minister Charlie McCreevy should introduce a tax incentive to entice people to work in the hotel sector.
Mr. Paul O'Toole Bord Failte Marketing said part of the fee collected from hotel did go to CERT for training. He agreed there was a problem with staffing.
"We are very much in danger of losing the essence of Irish tourism", he said.
He continued: "Over 5.3m people will come to Ireland this year and they come for the Irish people. Irish people offer something to our visitors that is unique and is seen as the key reason why people come to Ireland.
"We are very much in danger of losing that if we forget the Irish welcome, the hospitality, the fact that when you are served your breakfast or in the pub at night, the Irish person offers you a smile, a welcome, a chat. That is what people cherish.
"The problems of holding staff are being echoed around the country. If we don't take time out and recognise the problem we are going to undermine what we have for the future."
Connaught Telegraph - News & Sport - May 1998











