|
JOBS LOST IN DELAY OVER GOVERNMENT FUNDING By Tom Shiel A resignation threat by a top executive still overshadows efforts to revitalise the west despite assurances by Minister of State, Noel Treacy on Monday that Government legislation will be in place by Autumn to enable the region benefit from long promised £25 million funding . Mr. Liam Scollan, Chief Executive of the Western Development Commission, is frustrated over the long delay in implementing the vital Fund and says hundreds of jobs have been lost as a result of the holdup. However, Minister Treacy gave a commitment at the launch of the NCF John Healy Awards Scheme in Charlestown on Monday that the necessary legislation will be in place by Autumn to enable the money be drawn down. Despite this assurance, Mr. Scollan has not withdrawn his resignation threat stating that he will wait until later in the summer before making a final decision. SOLID Other bodies involved in the development and promotion of the seven western counties have given solid backing to Mr. Scollan with Ms. Marian Harkin, Chairperson of the Council for the West describing the situation as "scandalous'. Ms. Harkin said she didn't doubt Minister Treacy's sincerity and good intentions in the matter but the fact was that the Fund had been launched over two years ago and very little had happened since. "It is scandalous that the Chief Executive of an organisation like the Commission should have to consider his position because he cannot get on with the job he was employed to do or has his hands tied behind his back', Ms. Harkin stated. She added : "This Fund has been publicly promised three times by the Government. It was launched over two years ago. The economy of the country has grown by 20 per cent in that time'. BEDEVILLED Ms. Harkin criticised the Government claiming it lacked genuine strategic commitment to ensure the economic development of the west.'This is symptomatic of so many of the things that have bedevilled western development for decades. Promises are made but only part of these promises are kept'. Meanwhile, a member of the Council for the West, Mr. Seamus Caulfield, has described the Fund situation as very worrying. He said the money would have been used to attract investors but 25 months after the cash was promised the Fund was not in place. Mr. Caulfield explained: "In that 25 months, the economy of regions other than the west has grown by 25 per cent. We could have been part of that growth if the Fund was put in place. All it needs to rectify the situation is a stroke of the pen'. * Mr. Liam Scollan has warned that if the necessary legislation is not in place before the Dail summer recess he will be considering his position.
|











