Connaught Telegraph - County Mayo

Some articles from the Connaught Telegraph from 1996 to 1999

Visit the Connaught Telegraph website for up-to-date news from County Mayo.

 

Snippets

 

Our Logo24 June 1998

 

Probe into Mayo sex racket

GARDAI are on the trail of a prostitute operating a 'sex-for-sale' business in the Castlebar and Westport area.

The woman, stated to be in her late 40's or early 50's, has been openly approaching men on the street and in local hotels quoting prices for oral and full sex.

Several taxi operators, too, have encountered the woman who touted them for business.

One taxi man told the Telegraph he had dropped off and collected the woman at several hotels in Castlebar and had on another occasion been asked to drive her to Westport.

He was unaware of her 'profession' until she offered her services stating she charged £35 for oral sex and £67 for full sex.

Another man we spoke to confirmed he had been approached by the woman in daylight on a street in Castlebar who told him of the services she provided.

It is understood that the vice-girl approaches men in hotels and suggests they can have sex either in a bedroom or in a toilet.

A senior Garda officer in Castlebar confirmed last night hat they had received a complaint that a prostitute was operating in the area, which they were investigating.

Cat Scan success

OVER £400,000 has been raised for the provision of a Cat Scan machine for the Mayo General Hospital, Castlebar.

Over the past two years the fund raising committee have done Trojan work in gathering the cash in many innovative ways.

A Government commitment has been given that provision will be made for the unit in the second phase development of the hospital.

The Chief Executive Officer of the Western Health Board, Dr. Sheelah Ryan will address a press conference at the Mayo General Hospital, Castlebar on Monday night as will members of the committee when the Cat Scan fund will be officially closed.

The sum collected will be put on deposit until the facility at the hospital becomes available and this will raise the additional money required to purchase the vital Cat Scan machine.

Gender balance on inquest juries lob-sided says Coroner

BY TOM KELLY

The gender balance on inquest juries in Mayo is lopsided, according to acting West-Mayo Coroner, Eanya Egan.

The Castlebar-based solicitor revealed since taking up duty in May, 1997, only once has a female served at the local hearings.

Ms. Egan, who succeeded her late father, Mr. Michael Joe Egan, issued an urgent call to the Garda authorities to ensure that more women are called for jury services.

She stated: "I understand from the Gardai that women may not be available at the particular time inquests are held.

"But I would appeal for more women to come forward. It is very important to have a proper gender balance.

"I am now publically encouraging women of the county to put their names forward for jury duty. They can do so by handing in their names to me at my offices or to Castlebar Garda Station."

D-Day approaching for House of Prayer?

BUSINESS people in Achill have clashed publicly with the Archbishop of Tuam, Dr. Michael Neary over the local House of Prayer amid growing speculation that an important announcement is imminent about the future of the Centre.

Sources close to Mrs. Christina Gallagher, the Knockmore housewife who founded the House of Prayer in 1993, suggests that she may break her silence on the growing controversy in the coming days.

Church authorities have tightened their control on the House of Prayer in the last six months. Sunday Masses are to be discontinued and sermons and Confessions have already been withdrawn.

A seven member business delegation held a 45 minute meeting with Dr. Neary last week and afterwards claimed his restrictions could mean the closure of the House of Prayer and the loss of £500,000 annually for the local economy.

Delegation Chairman Chris Connaughton claimed the Archbishop wasn't interested in the financial gain to the area but this was sharply denied later by a spokesman for Dr. Neary who described that statement as "unfounded and gravely mistaken".

The statement, issued by the Diocesan Secretary, Fr. Brendan Kilcoyne, continued: "He (Dr. Neary) is well aware of the economic difficulties in Achill but is also well aware of his duties and is obliged to strike a balance which can never please everyone".

Mr. Connaughton yesterday (Tuesday) repeated his assertion that the Archdiocese was "trying to close the House of Prayer down". He said the Centre attracts up to 10,000 pilgrims every year and any reduction of the pilgrim flow would be a sore economic loss for the area.

Dutch Air Force 'thumb lift' to Mayo festival

BY TOM KELLY

MEMBERS of Dutch Air Force have been forced to 'thumb a lift' with their Naval counterparts in order to get to Castlebar for the International Four Day Walking Festival which runs from July 2st to 5th.

Because of an unprecedented demand on their stock of air planes, they thought they would have to make the trip to Mayo by land.

But the Dutch Navy were able to obtain an air craft, and they invited their colleagues in the national Army and Air Force to join them in the flight from The Hague to Horan International Airport, Knock, next Tuesday.

A total of 100 personnel are making the trip from the Netherlands for the event.

The chairperson of the festival committee, Elaine Devereaux, has issued an appeal for a big turnout for the festival 'Parade of Nations' on Wednesday evening next, July 1st, at 8.00p.m.

She asked business people and householders along the route to make a special effort to welcome the hundreds of visitors from throughout the world.

"This is an unique festival which brings people together from all over the globe. We should make every effort to make them feel welcome in our town."

The parade, which starts outside the Welcome Inn Hotel before taking a route through New Antrim Street, Linenhall Street, Main Street, Castle Street, The Mall, Ellison Street, Market Square, Chapel Street, and New Line, will be led the Band of the Western Command.

The official opening takes place outside the Welcome Inn Hotel after the parade. It will be performed by Mr. Ebashi, president of the Japanese Walking Federation.

The festival headquarters at the Welcome Inn Hotel has been special designed by local artist Melissa O'Brien for the occasion.


Connaught Telegraph - News & Sport - June 1998