Connaught Telegraph - County Mayo

Some articles from the Connaught Telegraph from 1996 to 1999

Visit the Connaught Telegraph website for up-to-date news from County Mayo.

 

Objectors reject £30m cement factory as a "dirty, disaster"

 

Our Logo8 July 1998

 

 

DEVELOPER PROMISES "MODERN, CLEAN" FACILITY BUT.........

BY TOM SHIEL AND JONATHAN MULLEN

A £30 million cement factory would spell disaster for a local community, a Bord Pleanala oral hearing was told in County Mayo yesterday (Tuesday).

Mr. Michael Lynskey, Chairman of Tooreen Community Council near Ballyhaunis, said the people of the area were united in their opposition to what he described as " a dirty industry."

Knock Airport and Knock Basilica builder Mr. Frank Harrington plans the controversial cement factory at a rural site between Kilkelly and Ballyhaunis.

If it goes ahead it will be the largest single industrial installation in the province of Connacht.

But determined opposition to the proposal has been mounted by local individuals and groups who claim the project will be detrimental to the environment as well as to the health of local people.

The objectors include the North Western Regional Fisheries Board who claim that the salmon rich Moy system would be affected.

Last year, Mayo County Council granted planning permission for the huge factory subject to 17 conditions. This has been appealed to An Bord Pleanala and the oral hearing, which is expected to last three days, is being held in Castlebar.

An Bord Pleanala Inspector, Mr. Karl Kent , who is conducting the hearing, said he had inspected the proposed factory site on May 21st and had been shown around by the developer, Mr. Harrington. He had looked at the site again on Monday.

Outlining some technical details of the proposal, Mr. Michael Bailey (on behalf of Frank Harrington Limited) said limestone would be the primary manufacturing ingredient and it made sense to have the factory next to a quarry area such as existed around Kilkelly.

Mr. Bailey said the plant would of the most modern design with strict emission limits. The quarry area would comprise 129 acres. The proposal involved removing a dwellinghouse and developing and landscaping the site and installing a sophisticated system of effluent treatment.

EXTENSION

An extension of the existing quarry would be needed in order to provide the raw material needed for the cement manufacturing process.

In a submission on behalf of Tooreen Community Council, Aghamore based businessman Michael Lynskey said a cement factory would be a a "dirty" project and would prove a disaster for the local community if it goes ahead.

Mr. Lynskey emphasised that the community was totally united against the factory and added: "This cement factory is an example of a company trying to impose its wishes on a community without asking or researching views of and impact on the community". Mr. Lynskey said Frank Harrington Ltd in their Environmental Impact Statement (EIS) had claimed that the most significant local industry apart from agriculture is quarrying.

"This information is totally incorrect and misleading", he added pointing out that there are 48 people approx employed by Cashel Engineering and a further 48 employed by Grasscare with a number of smaller firms including a playschool.

"By not including these and other employers the company is trying to portray Tooreen as an extinct community totally depending on Frank Harrington Ltd., for employment and handouts from the Government", Mr. Lynskey continued.

Mr. Harrington, who is represented by a strong legal team at the hearing, is expected to be called to give evidence on behalf of the company today (Wednesday).

An Bord Pleanala will give its decision on the appeal within 6 weeks.

 


 

Connaught Telegraph - News & Sport - July 1998