Connaught Telegraph - County Mayo

Some articles from the Connaught Telegraph from 1996 to 1999

Visit the Connaught Telegraph website for up-to-date news from County Mayo.

Sleeping Ballina people should not be disturbed by fighting 'Macho-men'

 

Two men pleaded guilty to striking each another at Ballina (Mayo) court03 March 1999

 

 

Two young men who pleaded guilty to striking a blow at each another had a case against them adjourned for a probation report at Ballina court.

A charge of assault against a third man was dismissed. All three were bound to the peace when they appeared before Judge Dan Shields.

After hearing the case Judge Shields said the peace of Ballina was not assisted by macho-men defending honour and said people were entitled to rest and sleep in peace.

Appearing before the court was Gary Delaney, 27, St. Patrick's Estate, Ballina who pleaded not guilty. John Maughan, Lord Edward Street, Ballina and Stephen Knight, St. Muredach's Tce, Ballina both pleaded guilty.

James Garavan told the court on October 4 at around 3a.m. he was heading towards the shop with two friends and as they passed Xtra Vision two girls passed. They said they were they from the mental home and his friend said they were out for the day.

They proceeded on and passed the three defendants. He turned around the Knight said what's your problem. Witness was punched over the left eye which started bleeding.

He said Delaney hit him the second blow and he was not sure who struck him the third time.

He later identified them to the Gardai and was sent to Castlebar Hospital where he received three stitches over his eye.

John O'Connor who was with the first witness said he saw Knight strike Garavan. Maughan then jumped towards him and hit him on the chin.

Michelle Knight said the three men went past her and a friend and there was some messing about a mental home.

She said they started shouting abuse and her brother Stephen Knight heard it and reacted.

He hit Garavan and she ran and grabbed him off. She was not sure if Delaney or Maughan hit him as it happened very fast.

In his statement to the Gardai, Delaney denied any assault.

Mr. Peter Loftus, solicitor (representing Delaney) asked that the charge against his client be dismissed. Garavan's evidence was contradicted by his friend's and there was doubt about his client's involvement.

Inspector Michael O'Donovan said the victim was quite clear in saying who struck him.

In his direct evidence Delaney said he was present when Garavan was assaulted however he was positive he did not strike him. He said the girls had been insulted and Knight hit Garavan.

Mr. Loftus said on the basis of the evidence where was a doubt and he was seeking a dismiss of the charge.

Ms. Mary O'Brien, solicitor (representing Knight and Maughan) said her clients had pleaded guilty and each admitted striking one blow. They had no previous convictions.

Judge Shields said he had some doubt in relation to Gary Delaney which meant he had to dismiss the charge.

However he was satisfied he was misbehaving on the night and bound him over to keep the peace for twelve months on his own bond of £100.

He adjourned the case against Maughan to April 13 for a probation report and bound him to keep the peace on the same terms as Delaney.

In relation to Knight, Judge Shields said what appeared to have been said to his sister did not seem to have been anything other than a little bit of messing and nothing of a truly offensive nature, particularly not from James Garavan.

He adjourned the case against him to April 13, binding him to keep the peace on the same terms as above and for compensation.

Judge Shields said the peace of Ballina was not assisted by these kind of macho men defending honour around the place. People are entitled to rest and sleep in peace and to walk the streets.

 


Connaught Telegraph - News & Sport - March 1999