Bar Owner From Robeen Murdered In New York



Connaught Telegraph 13 November 1996


New York murder victim P.J. Fahy will be laid to rest in his native Robeen, Hollymount, today (Wednesday), as police intensify the hunt for his killers.

Badly beaten P.J. (33) was found in a shallow grave in the Queens area of the city after being missing for a week. The investigating officers believe there may be a Mafia connection to the brutal killing because of his friendship with the woman friend of a man known to have mobster connections.

P.J. had recently taken over a pub, Back Drafts, in the Woodside area of Queen. He was reported missing by his brother Sean, a co-owner of the bar. Police said the body was naked except for underwear and that Mr. Fahy had been mutilated before being shot in the head.

Robeen Parish Priest, Fr. Harry Bell said P.J. had been a model son and had recently brought his parents Joe Francis and Kathleen on a holiday to New York. Fr. Bell recalled how P.J. had been home for the All-Ireland football replay between Mayo and Meath and had returned to New York in excellent form.

The deceased was well known for hie generosity to other Irish emigrants arriving in New York.

A former fellow barman Shane O'Neill of Ballinrobe said: "he was one of the best." P.J. was the third in a family of seven which is no stranger to tragedy. In recent time two other members, Desmond (30) and Mary (29) passed away.

His remains arrived at Shannon Airport yesterday (Tuesday) and were taken to Robeen Church where large crowds gathered for the funeral.

He will be buried in Robeen cemetery after mid-day Mass today Wednesday).

He is survived by his parents, brothers Peter (Robeen), Frank (England), Joe and Sean (USA), relatives and friends to whom deepest sympathy is extended.




Connaught Telegraph - News & Sport - November 1996