TELEGRAPH DIGEST
7 August 1996

Co Mayo, Ireland


Our Logo


Cornanool Centenary Celebrations

The centenary of St. Patrick's National School, Cornanool, Castlebar, will be marked later this month.

A special programme of celebrations has been organised to take place on the weekend of August 23rd to 25th. A centenary magazine is being compiled under the editorialship of Martin Loftus. It contained a number of splendid articles, as well as old photographs never previously published.

The publication will be of keen interest to those who spent happy years at the school.

Move to rename un-named street

A member of Castlebar Urban Council, Mr. Paddy McGuinness, wants the authority to start a consultative process to rename all un-named streets, roads, car parks and public areas within its jurisdiction.

He has tabled a motion on the matter for consideration at Thursday's meeting of the authority.

Council not appointing committee

Members of Castlebar Urban Council have taken a decision in relation to the appointment of committees.

They have agreed that instead of appointing committees the entire council would meet in committee from time to time to deal with issues which should not be dealt with in public.

On the proposal of Mr. Frank Durcan seconded by Mr. Johnny Mee, it was agreed that decisions taken at such meetings would be ratified at subsequent public meetings.

Extinguish right of way

Castlebar Urban Council is considering a proposal to extinguish the right of way between the Newport Road and Pound Road.

Housing question posed

Castlebar Urban Council is seeking an explanation from Mayo County Council why the last two houses in Clydagh Park were allowed to breach the established building line.

Go-ahead for new projects

Castlebar Urban Council has granted planning permission for seven new developments in the town, and the list is as follows.

Applications under consideration

Eight new planning applications have been submitted to Castlebar Urban Council during the month of July.

Appeal withdrawn

An appeal to An Bord Pleanala against the decision of Castlebar Urban Council grant planning permission to C. McDonald to reconstruct and extend existing garage premises at Spencer Street has been withdrawn.

Dunnes stores appeal

An appeal has been submitted to An Bord Pleanala against a number of conditions imposed by Castlebar Urban Council in granting planning permission to Mountain View Securities for an extension to Dunnes Stores.

Bereavemen

t Sympathy is extended to Mrs. Eileen Roach, MacHale Road, and Mary Kelly, Fr. Meehan Place, Castlebar, on the death of their nephew, David Kelly, Westport .

Old building demolished

An old dwelling at Westport Road has been demolished.

The building, located beside the Travellers Friend Hotel, was last occupied by the late Martin Murphy. He was caretaker of the Old Cemetery for many years. He was father of Paddy Murphy, painter, and husband of Mrs. Murphy, St. Patrick's Avenue, Castlebar.

One of the first occupants of the house was the late William Doyle, who worked as the cemetery caretaker.

Tommy Brinklow was another occupant of the house. He subsequently emigrated to London where died a number of years ago.

The site is being developed by local contractor Tony Gaughan. He has planning permission to erect a shop and apartment complex there.

Arguing at Spencer Street

Two Limerick brothers who pleaded guilty to a breach of the Public Order Acts in Spencer Street, Castlebar, on April 7th last, were fined £50 each by Judge Daniel Shields at the local Court.

The court heard that Michael and Timothy O'Brien, Nos. 19 and 18 Clash Road, Abbeyfeale, Co. Limerick, Îhad more than a few drinks' on the occasion in question.

Garda John Melvin said when he arrived at the scene of the disturbance at 1.00a.m., the two brothers were arguing and fighting.

"They were very intoxicated and we detained them overnight until they sobered up," he told the court.

The brothers pleased guilty to the offences.

Talks of Times Past

Paddy Glynn, Rathbawn Road, Castlebar, is Johnny Mee's guest in ÎTalk of Times Past' on CRCfm on Friday at 3.30p.m. The programme is repeated on Saturday morning at 9.30.

Taking charge of Castlehill Park

Mayo County Council is putting arrangements in place to take charge of Castlehill Park estate in Castlebar.

Mr. Gilbert Groake has confirmed to Deputy Seamus Hughes, T.D., that the green area in the estate containing the sewerage pump house and sump have been acquired by way of vesting order.

This clears the way for the taking over of the estate. The matter will come before members of Mayo County Council for formal adoption later this year.

Snugboro Lotto

There was no winner of the jackpot prize in the weekly Snugboro Lotto, the numbers drawn being 1, 6, 7 and 22.

The £10 winners were Gerard Derrig, Newport Road; Sunnil Lobos, Mayo General Hospital; Joan McDonnell, Garryduff; Maurice Kerr, Ulster Bank, and John Coyne, Ulster Bank, Castlebar. Sean Gavin was the winner of the house prize.

Next week's jackpot goes up to £1,700. The draw takes place in the Cobweb Bar, Linenhall Street, on Thursday night.

Friends of Sacred Heart Hospital says thanks

The Friends of the Sacred Heart Hospital, Castlebar, have expressed thanked to everybody who helped make the Open Day a huge success. A sum of £2,700 was raised from the many events of the afternoon. Tribute has been paid to the following for their contribution.

The many musicians, singers, dancers and entertainers who provided a full programme of top class entertainment.

Those who contributes cakes, spot prizes, garden produce, flowers, plants and other items.

The hundreds of volunteers who gave of their time in helping the Open Day run so smoothly.

Those who turned up from all over Mayo to support the event.

The next event on the calendar is a Gala Concert in the Welcome Inn Hotel on Thursday, September 26th, which promised to be a great night of musical variety. There will also be a superb raffle, for which tickers are now on sale at outlets everywhere.

The next meeting of the Friends of Sacred Heart Committee takes place on Tuesday, August 20th, at 8.00p.m. Everybody is welcome.

Tucker Street change

Two houses have been demolished at Tucker Street, Castlebar, to make way for a new housing development at the location.




Connaught Telegraph - News - August 1996

Connaught Telegraph - Sport - August 1996