ENQUIRY NEEDED TO RESTORE PUBLIC CONFIDENCE

Connaught Telegraph


Soccer chief speaks out on F.A.I. rumpus

EXCLUSIVE :: BY TOM KELLY

A member of the executive council of the Football Association of Ireland last night spoke of the controversy which is tearing the organisation apart. Mayo's Pat Quigley, senior vice-president of the authority, has welcomed an external enquiry into the workings of the F.A.I.

"The investigation is needed to restore some degree of public confidence and show transparency in our business dealings. The organisation can only benefit from the report and recommendations of the enquiry," he stated. Mr. Quigley, the long serving, Castlebar-based official, said he was 'as shocked as anybody' when he heard the news, on his car radio on Friday, that a sum of £110,000 had been paid back to the F.A.I. by its treasurer, Joe Delaney.

"The investigation will, I hope, clear up the matter once and for all." In an exclusive interview with the Connaught Telegraph, he said he wished to state categorically that he was totally unaware of the situation. He explained: "While I, and indeed all members of the executive, were aware of the bartering for tickets which took place during major tournaments like the World Cup, to facilitate the large numbers of Irish supporters who travel to such tournaments, I was never at any stage aware that such outstanding monies were owed to the F.A.I.

"I am sorry that Mr. Delaney did not come to council and let people know. This was obviously a mistake by him."

He revealed that after thinking long and hard about his own position, he saw no reason why he should resign.

"I feel, as I was elected by council, I should leave it in the hands of the council members to make the decision on my future.

"I also believe it should be council's decision to take whatever action they deem necessary over the situation which has developed over the outstanding monies which have been paid pack."

A meeting, which is expected to resolve the on-going controversy, takes place on Friday, March 8th. It will be attended by the 51 members of senior council.

Mr. Quigley told the Telegraph he had received huge support from fellow council members who were satisfied that he was unaware of the situation.

"Of course, I am disappointed that the image of the F.A.I. has been dragged down to a very low level."

BEHIND MANAGER

On the matter of whether the F.A.I. were fully behind newly appointed international team manager Mick McCarthy, he said: "There is absolutely no problem with Mick McCarthy. I know how much Mick is looking forward, along with his backroom team, to keeping the Irish flag flying on the international stage.

"I have no doubt he will do a tremendous job for us and Irish football in general. There are exciting times ahead for the game with so much young talent being developed throughout the country like never before.

He said he was disappointed to hear a call for a boycott of the forthcoming friendly international match at Lansdowne Road on March 27th.

"I hope Irish supporters turn out in force to give their full backing to Mick McCarthy.

"The F.A.I. is going through a difficult spell at the moment. But, thankfully, the game is served by a lot of talented people who, I am sure, want to see the association moving ahead

"I have worked as a member of the F.A.I. Senior Council for 23 years.

"It is a role which has given me great joy and personal satisfaction. I hope the present dark days of the association will move away very quickly, and that the image of the F.A.I. will be restored to its rightful place in Irish sport.

"I, for one, am committed to achieving that. Like hundreds of thousands of people throughout the country, football is an integral part of my life."

He welcomed the fact the suspension of over 140 referees nationwide had been lifted, and the praised the role of Mr. William Bradley, Sligo, president of the Irish Soccer Referees Society, in helping to resolve the issue. Mr. Quigley began his football career with the new defunct Road Rangers club before becoming involved with Castlebar Celtic. He has been a member of the Mayo Association Football League's management committee for over 30 years, and held the position of chairman from 1990 to 1993.

He was appointed a member of the F.A.I. Senior Council and executive committee in 1973, and he has held the post of chairman of the Connaught Football Association for almost two decades.

Mr. Quigley is also a former president of the F.A.I. Youths Council.

Connaught Telegraph - News - February 1996

Connaught Telegraph - Sport - February 1996