CASTLEBAR HOLIDAY VILLAGE GETS £2.7M GRANT



Connaught Telegraph 25 September 1996


By TOM GILLESPIE

A GRANT of £2.7 million has been approved for the development of a multi-million pound leisure integrated holiday village in Castlebar, Tourism and Trade Minister, Enda Kenny announced when he officially turned the first sod on the project on Monday.

The weather independent/stand alone village is the first major public sector tourism project for Castlebar and will centre around Lough Lannagh, with access through Creagh Villa House. The village will comprise of 11 cottages with 36 bedroom- bathrooms en-suite, a visitor centre, a holiday hostel, luxury touring caravan park, leisure centre, a traditional barn as a rural conference/exhibition area and outdoor visitor facilities based on planned developments around Lough Lannagh.

Based on market research the Holiday Village could attract up to 20,000 visitors within three years with 80 per cent of them coming from out-of-State.

Minister Kenny complimented Castlebar Urban Council on the professional way it prepared plans for the project and on the successful application which it had made to the Management Board for Product Development. Minister Kenny said: "I am happy to say that a grant of £2.7 million has been approved by the Board towards a total investment in excess of £3.9m." He thanked the Management Board, Bord Failte and Ireland West for their support and backing of this development.

"The Holiday Village will provide a quality weather independent leisure centre with both indoor facilities and outdoor activities such as walking, cycling, angling and water sports.

"The village will provide a unique rural accommodation base centred in between some of Ireland's most spectacular sites and visitor attractions.

"Castlebar will now have a top class amenity to offer to tourists. I hope to see the town capitalise on and benefit from the overseas tourism demand for activity and special interest holidays." The Minister said Tourism Development International, were responsible for compiling a tourism research, development and marketing plan for the project.

The report which they produced in March had been of great assistance to the UDC in preparing their plans and application to the European Regional Development Fund.

He acknowledged the assistance received from the consultants from Mayo County Council, Castlebar Tourism Action Group, Mayo Naturally, Castlebar Chamber of Commerce, Castlebar Community Development association and the local business community in the town.

The grant approval represents 75 per cent of the cost of the development while the remaining 25 per cent will have to be raised locally.

Minister Kenny added: "The remainder will have to be raised locally. This is going to be a challenge but that should be well within the capacity of the people of the town to do that. It is a huge investment in the provision of this facility.

"Castlebar can now turn its face on Lough Lannagh and make use of this fine amenity which will generate great tourism potential for the area." Work has already started on the Holiday Village with new road access being put in place at the moment.




Connaught Telegraph - News - September 1996

Connaught Telegraph - Sport - September 1996