Snippets -26 February 1997
REGIONAL EDITOR APPOINTED
Award winning journalist Tom Shiel has taken up the position of Regional Editor with the Connaught Telegraph.Tom, who is recognised as one of the best reporters in the business, had been Head of News at Mid-West Radio for the past 7 years.
Prior to that he was attached to the editorial staff of Independent Newspapers, Dublin where he carved out a name as a news and feature reporter. Earlier this year he was presented with a special award for a radio documentary, chronicling the success against all the odds of Knock International Airport.
Tom, who resides in Castlebar, will bring a fresh editorial look and added news and feature bite to the Telegraph.He will have responsibility for developing the profile of the Telegraph throughout the region.
The Connaught Telegraph team of journalists, backed up by a strong network of local, correspondents, is now in a better position than ever to bring the most relevant and comprehensive news and sports coverage to our many thousands of readers throughout the region.
IPAV CONVENTION IN ASHFORD CASTLE
The annual Convention/seminar of the Institute of Professional Auctioneers & Valuers (IPAV) will take place at Ashford castle, Cong on March 15.Speakers will include Eoin Hayes, founder member of ISME; Frank Allen, president of the ICMSA; Barrister Eoin Garavan and UK property consultant Peter McManus.
The Government Chief Whip, Jim Higgins will be in attendance as well as guest Dr. Laurence Camillo, President of the European Confederation of Estate Agents.
IPAV President, Castlebar native, Mr. Thomas Collins, will be hosting the event.
JUNIOR ANGLERS ANNUAL MEETING
The annual general meeting of the Castlebar Junior Anglers Club will be held in the Welcome Inn Hotel, Castlebar on this Sunday at 3p.m.All members are invited to attend when a decision will be made on the various fishing competitions to be held by the club during the coming season. New members are also welcome to join
DEATH OF NOTED KILTIMAGH BUSINESS WOMAN
The death on Monday after a brief illness of Mrs Sheila Heneghan, Main St, Kiltimagh, robbed the local community of one of its most cherished and highly thought of residents.Wife of Micko Heneghan, Sheila and her husband were involved in business in Kiltimagh over a long number of years and through their local chemist shop they catered for the needs of the people of Kiltimagh and surrounding areas.
Sheila was very involved in various local community groups and had a great love for music and drama. She was a kind, popular and much valued member of the Kiltimagh community which she served faithfully and with dedication during her years.
A devoted mother Sheila and Micko were dedicated family people. There was a very large turn out at the removal of her remains from her home at Kiltimagh to the church of the Holy Family yesterday evening (Tuesday). Burial takes place this afternoon (Wednesday) in Kilcanure Cemetery.
Sheila is survived by her husband Micko, sons Brendan, Kieran, Louis and Jarlath and daughters Marion, Michelle and Una.
FR. FORDE TO CONTINUE AS MAYO GAA BOSS
Fr. Noel Forde, is to continue as chairman of the Mayo GAA Board. The Breaffy, Castlebar curate, who is on leave of absence from his priestly duties, said his commitment to the GAA was steadfast, but he gave no indication as to when he will be resuming his parish responsibilities. In a statement prior to the monthly meeting of the Mayo GAA Board, Fr. Forde said rumours of his demise had been greatly exaggerated.There have been question marks over his future following national newspaper speculation on the circumstances surrounding a recent holiday he spent in the US.
Archbishop Michael Neary last month said Fr. Forde had been granted leave of absence in order to give him time for 'reflection and prayer'.
Now Fr. Forde has finally broken his silence to declare: "I have been a GAA man all of my life and will continue being one.
"The organisation will always have my support. My commitment to the GAA is steadfast and I will continue to give it the full commitment I have always given it. My record stands as a testimony to this.
"At present I am stepping back from parish duties for a short while to reflect and pray. This, however, will in no way affect my involvement with the GAA and particularly with the GAA in Mayo.
"Your help and prayers over the past while are very much appreciated", he concluded.
Fr. Forde, who lead the Mayo senior squad to the historic All-Ireland Final replay against Meath last September, received a round of applause from the members present after which the meeting proceeded to discuss other matters.
THE LATE MRS. KATHLEEN BOHAN, CASTLEBAR
The death has taken place after an illness of Mrs. Kathleen Bohan of 3, St. Patrick's Avenue, Castlebar.The deceased (nee Mulhaire), a native of Moorehall, Ballyglass, was a devoted mother and wife and lived only for her family.
In her 66-year she is survived by her husband Jim (ex-Garda detective), her sons John, Michael and James (Castlebar) daughter Ann (Germany), brothers PJ and Michael Peter, sisters Francis, Phil and Sadie, daughters-in-law Katherine and Bernie and son-in-law Paul (Germany).
Her remains were removed from Coady's Funeral Home to the Church of the Holy Rosary, Castlebar last evening (Tuesday).
Burial will take place this morning (Wednesday) in the New Cemetery after Requiem Mass at 12 noon.
NEW MWR BASE FOR BALLYHAUNIS
The future of Ballyhaunis as a broadcasting base for Mid-West Radio (MWR) has been assured following the purchase by the company of the old Dillon's Hardware premises in the town.MWR plan to move from their old base at Abbey Street to a modern new facility at Clare Street which will incorporate TV studio facilities and a recording studio as well as state of the art broadcasting facilities.
Local community leaders have welcomed the planned £500,000 investment.
DRUG DETECTION KIT ON TV
A drug detection pack, DrugAlert which is available at John O'Donnell's Pharmacy, Castlebar will be featured on tonight's (Wednesday) edition of the Network 2 television show Gerry Ryan Tonight.The kit allows parents to carry out simple tests which will show if their children have come in contact with drugs.
Mr. O'Donnell will be interviewed on the show (9.35p.m.) and will explain how the kit, as used by the FBI and other law enforcement agencies, works. It consists of a special pre-moistened sample collector which minute traces of drugs.
This is then dispatched to a laboratory and the results become available ten days later. The service is totally confidential.
WHEELCHAIR MEETING
The next committee meeting of the Castlebar branch of the Irish Wheelchair Association will take place in the welcome Inn Hotel, Castlebar on Monday at 8.30p.m.TWO INJURED IN CAR ACCIDENT
Three youths travelling from Newport to Castlebar for an indoor soccer match were injured on Monday night when their car went off the road and into a field at Derrycoosh about two and a half miles from Castlebar.The car driver, nineteen year old Ciaran Ginley was the most seriously injured. He was in intensive care at the Mayo General Hospital yesterday (Tuesday) but arrangements were being made to transfer him to Beaumont Hospital, Dublin.
Also injured , but less seriously, was Stephen Cowley (20) and his brother
Frank (19) of Georges Street, Newport. Both work in the building trade
while Ciaran Ginley is a restaurant worker based in Castlebar.
Connaught Telegraph - News & Sport - February 1997










