Snippets -12 March 1997



Connaught Telegraph 12 March 1997


Young man dies in Ballinrobe tragedy

The tragic death of young Ballinrobe man Paul Burke early on Sunday morning has cast a pall of gloom over a wide area.

It is believed that 20 year old Paul, who lived at New Street and worked part-time with a refrigeration company fell asleep in his home while cooking chips. Oil from the chip pan started a minor blaze and Mr. Burke, the eldest of four children, was overcome by fumes.

Friends who were staying in the house discovered his body when they arrived in the kitchen for breakfast. Mr. Burke's parents and other family members were staying overnight in Limerick when the tragedy happened. They were visiting the young man's grandmother who had only just been discharged from hospital.

Paul had been out socialising with friends on Saturday night and apparently decided to cook some chips after returning home at about two am.

A neighbour explained: "This was a most tragic and freak accident. If one searched the country, one could not find a more decent, respectable young fellow".

Paul is survived by his parents, Liam and Susan; sisters Collete and Deirdre and brother Damien . There was a huge attendance at the removal of the remains to St. Mary's Church last night (Tuesday). Burial will take place today (Wednesday) in the New Cemetery.

Unlikely obstacle may hit 1798 re-enactment

Plans for an exact re-enactment of the 1798 Rebellion in Mayo could be scuttled by an unlikely obstacle.

The French Naval Forces have indicated to Mayo County Council they are willing to participate next year in a colourful bicentennial re-run of the famous invasion.

But their arrival in Killala may be hampered because Kilcummin Bay, where General Humbert anchored his fleet in 1798 is not considered deep enough for large vessels.

Now a member of Mayo County Council, Mr. Sean McEvoy, wants the Department of the Marine to make special provisions to ensure the French ship can berth in the North Mayo port. He said there was a problem with an Argentinean craft at the location a number of months ago.

Anger over pollution issue

A member of Mayo County Council is angry over the contamination of water supplies following a serious pollution incident at the council operated dump near Newport .

Mr. Frank Chambers hit out during yesterday's meeting of the authority that he was grossly unhappy with the council's handling of the situation which could be 'calamitous' for the West Mayo region.

The Fianna Fail councillor said he was upset the council issued a statement saying the dump was not a pollution threat to Beltra Lake when the facts indicated otherwise.

"It's unacceptable a serious issue of this nature should be covered up," he added.

Mr. Kieran Thompson of the North Western Regional Fisheries Board, described the incident as one of the most serious pollution outbreaks ever to occur in the county.

Making an independent stand

There would be as many as five independent candidates on the ballot sheet in Mayo when the General Election takes place in June.

Richard Finn, Claremorris, Paddy McGuinness, Castlebar, Dr. Jerry Cowley, Mulranny, Billy Heffron, Moygownagh, and Joe Gibbons, Westport, are all likely to be in the race.

NCF CELEBRATE 25 YEARS IN BALLINROBE

Gardening expert Gerry Daly will be one of the many guests in Ballinrobe on Friday to mark the 25th anniversary of the opening of the NCF store in the town.

MWR will also broadcast from outside the store from 11a.m. to 1p.m. for the Paul Claffey show and the outside broadcast unit will be present from 2p.m. to 4p.m.

The entertainment will commence at 10a.m. and during the course of the day there will be demonstrations in painting, welding,, power-washing as well as a barbecue.

There will be many prizes to be won as well as special offers on the day

HONOUR FOR KEVIN BOURKE

The Mayo Rehab County Committee will honour the organisation's regional organiser, Kevin Bourke, on his selection as Mayo Person of the Year '97, at a function in the Welcome Inn Hotel, Castlebar on this Friday night (10p.m.).

Music for the occasion will be supplied by Concord. Tickets at £5 are available from Rehab members or on the door.

GAY LOSES VFI SEAT

Long serving vintners official, Gay Nevin has surprisingly lost his seat on the National Executive Council of the Vintners Federation of Ireland (VFI). Mr. Nevin, a former owner of the Beaten Path premises at Brize, Claremorris, was defeated at the annual general meeting of Mayo Vintners last week. Elected to the NEC were: Michael Carty of Knock; Pat Rouse (Ballina) and Seamus O'Grady (Westport).

Officers elected: Chairman, Chris Lavelle, Westport; vice chairman, Marty O'Hora, Kiltimagh; secretary, Pat Jennings and P.R.O. Helen Forde, Hollymount. There was a large attendance at the annual general meeting which was held in the Travellers Friend Hotel, Castlebar.

LOUISBURGH CAREERS EXHIBITION

A major careers exhibition and information day will be held in the Sancta Maria College, Louisburgh on Tuesday April 8.

It is aimed at transition year and fifth year students and in attendance will be representatives from technical colleges from Ireland, England and Scotland. A number of state training colleges will also be present

Company representatives from both the State and private will be on hand to outline the job prospects within their various companies and the qualifications necessary to gain employment.

The exhibition is being organised by the Sancta Maria FAS CEP project and the transition year students.

The event will be open to the public, to students and their parents between 10.30a.m. and 3p.m. For further information contact 098-66342 of fax 098-66570




Connaught Telegraph - News & Sport - March 1997