Radiation fears over Esat Digifone proposal
SWINFORD 'NO' TO PHONE TRANSMITTER
By TOM SHIEL
Plans by Esat Digifone to erect a mobile phone link on top of Swinford Garda Station are being opposed by a local pressure group for health reasons.
The objectors claim the transmitting apparatus is being "dumped on the town" following a refusal by An Bord Pleanala recently of planning permission for a phone mast at nearby Kilbride. Planning permission is not required for the Garda Station location because there is an existing telecommunications mast there.
Prominent Swinford businessman Joe Mellett said yesterday (Tuesday) he had been approached by quite a number of townspeople who are concerned over what is happening.
"If a mobile phone mast is not acceptable at Kilbride it is hardly right that the transmitting equipment should be placed on the edge of a very highly populated area", Mr. Mellett said.
He added : "These masts are a source of health and environmental concern. Feelings are running very high on this issue locally".
Sources have revealed that experts have been examining the Garda Station site in recent weeks. Mr. Mellett has warned that the necessary equipment to transmit signals could be put in place within days.
Mayo County Councillor, Pat Higgins, who has been consistently vocal on the mobile phone mast issue, says he's very concerned about the Swinford situation.
"There is a major inconsistency here", Mr Higgins told the Connaught Telegraph. "I don't understand that what was unacceptable out the countryside should be acceptable in the town".
Mr Higgins added that there should be an onus on Esat to assess the existing radiation in the Swinford area before proceeding to install the transmitting equipment.
He explained: "There should be a monitoring body in place to assess radiation levels. Companies proposing to put such transmitting equipment in place should be obliged to monitor and report on local radiation levels beforehand".
Swinford Development Association is expected to discuss the latest developments as regards mobile phone transmissions at their meeting tonight (Wednesday)
Meanwhile, Esat Digifone spokesman Declan Drummond said yesterday he could not comment "for Garda security reasons" on whether there were plans to use the Swinford Garda mast.
"There is a Garda deal as regards the use of the masts but we cannot comment on the arrangements as regards individual stations,", Mr. Drummond added.
"This is for Garda security reasons."
Connaught Telegraph - News & Sport - March 1997










