18 June 1997
Leisure facility secure as council back heritage centre plans
by Deirdre Kelly
The £5 million development of an all-weather leisure facility and heritage centre at James Street are back on track. Members of Westport Urban Council gave a majority 'yes' vote to new proposals for the heritage and tourist centre, bringing the leisure park back on stream.
The proposals will see the creation of a new "street", which will give access to the leisure facility. Funding for the leisure project was under threat after objections to the heritage centre plans were raised.
Mr. Patrick Durcan was the only member of the authority to vote against the resolution. He said he had grave concerns about traffic management and called for the leisure centre to be moved away from the site. Councillors must now wait and see if an appeal is lodged with An Bord Pleanala.
Thursday night's meeting heard that the Hughes/Gibbons house will be demolished as well as part of the Shanley building, creating a new street into the leisure park.
At the opening of the discussion Town Manager, Mr. Padraic Hughes said a similar application by Ireland West Tourism had been considered and rejected by the local authority.
The application involved the renovation of the old Garda Barracks as a tourism office and for the provision of a heritage centre and demolition of the 'Gibbons/Hughes' houses and part demolition of that known as the 'Shanley building' which is listed. All options had been examined and the only possible option was now before the council.
He told councillors: "I strongly recommend you pass the resolution here tonight and allow the development of the leisure centre go ahead also."
Mr. Joe Beirne, County Engineer with Mayo County Council, said officials had preserved as much of the integrity of the building as possible while providing the best possible access to the leisure park at the rear.
Deputy Michael Ring, who had previously declared a professional interest in the buildings, queried if he should abstain from being involved in making a decision.
He said: "I acted for the client in selling the property. I have no direct interest."
Mr. Sean Staunton said he and his party had no difficulty with Mr. Ring being involved in making a decision. His interest was very remote.
Acting Senior Executive Architect with Mayo County Council, Getta Keena, said there was no option but to demolish the Hughes/Gibbons property. It was intended to salvage a window and use it in the new gable constructed. The council intended forming a new street rather than a mere access route to a car park. The existing archway will be retained and will provide the main pedestrian access. An archway over the vehicle entrance, she said, would create a "gaping hole" in the existing street scape and would not cater for the large vehicles servicing the leisure centre.
"CONSTIPATED TRAFFIC BLOCK"
Mr. Seamus Granahan, Senior Executive Engineer with Mayo County Council said access was always going to be difficult. Other routes had been looked at and were not viable.
Mr. Patrick Durcan queried had "the constipated traffic block" on James Street been examined.
Mr. Joe Beirne said the leisure centre would not be a major generator of traffic. "You will not have a continuous flow of traffic."
He added: "The decision you have made is to have the leisure centre there. Now it is time to make a decision on the heritage centre. It is the only reasonable way of getting in and out. It is the only option.
"You will have to have good traffic management and you need more discipline and to use whatever facilities are there."
Mr. Sean Staunton said if there were two off street car parks on James Street it would "work wonders" for traffic management in the area. He added: "I would like to propose we accept the recommendations of the manager as put to us."
Mr. Patrick Durcan said he had some difficulties. He had initially thought the location was right for the leisure centre but on reflection his decision was wrong. The new heritage centre proposal was a "massive improvement on what was there before" but he would still oppose it.
"I don't see why it is necessary to knock a listed building. I don't see why the building should be interfered with.
"Ireland West Tourism should be criticised. It is trying to create a heritage centre while demolishing part of our heritage." Mr. Durcan said he also opposed on the basis of traffic difficulties on the street.
"I have worked on the street for 23 years. I see the traffic there and the creation of a new access will not work. My initial views first were with the building but I am moving more to the traffic."
He suggested moving the leisure park to the rugby pitch at the Golf Links Road.
"If Sean Staunton's proposal is not carried and even if it is, I am of the mind we pass a resolution to direct the manager to avail of the land we have in our ownership to relocate this facility."
Mr. Durcan suggested the James Street site be developed as a children's playground. He said he wanted to see Ireland West Tourism getting ahead with their project and the council with their's.
Mr. Sean Staunton agreed the new plans were much improved, adding the development would ease the traffic congestion in the area. Ireland West Tourism did not want to interfere with a listed building and the criticisms were "unfair". The integrity of the main building would not be interfered with.
£2.8 million of EU funding is "on the table for over a year and no one has to ask how long more is it going to be left on the table," he said.
Mr. Staunton added it was expected to have both projects up and running by 1998, it was now unclear if they would have started by then. £750,000 had been raised locally, he said, and people were now asking that their money be returned to them.
The issue was to put in place £5 million worth of development between the heritage centre and leisure facility, Mr. Staunton said, "or we have the opportunity to say no we don't want this."
"Are we prepared to say no to a much needed £5 million development in this town which the tourism industry needs?"
He warned: "Any decision which goes against the manager's recommendation will have serious implications for the town."
Ms. Margaret Adams, who voted against the proposal the last time, said she still believed the location is right for the leisure centre.
There would be certain traffic problems but she was supporting Mr. Staunton's proposals.
Mr. John Joe O'Malley and Mr. Declan Dever also voiced their support for the proposals.
Mr. Dever said moving the leisure facility to the Golf Road was only putting the project back.
Mr. Martin Keane there were many people disappointed at the delay in the leisure facility and everyone wanted to see the project go ahead.
Mr. Ollie Gannon, who objected to the heritage centre plans initially, said he done so in the best interests of the town. This time he would be supporting the motion but he hoped an alternative entrance would be considered in the future.
Deputy Michael Ring gave his support saying he wanted to see both projects put in place. However problems with traffic would be encountered, he added.
Chairman, Mr. Dermot Langan said: "It is a very difficult decision for us as a council to make."
Both the leisure centre and heritage centre and tourism office and a children's playground were needed in the town.
"The last night I voted against it. Tonight I will be supporting it."
He added he liked the idea of creating a new street.
Town manager, Mr. Padraic Hughes said a change of location for the leisure centre was not part of the heritage centre application.
The main issues raised were interference with a listed building, traffic difficulties and a change of location.
The resolution for partial demolition, refurbishment and extension of the building known as the old Garda Station and for the demolition of the existing adjacent dwelling house for the development of a tourist information office, heritage centre and retail units was given a yes vote by eight of the nine councillors.
Mr Patrick Durcan was the only member to vote against it.
He added: "If I decide to lodge an appeal it will not be behind the face of An Taisce or the Georgian Society. I will do it myself."










