18 June 1997
. . . BUT CONTROVERSIAL CASTLEBAR TRAFFIC LIGHTS TO REMAIN
By Tom Shiel
Businesspeople along one of Castlebar's oldest thoroughfares are calling for the removal of a set of traffic lights which, they say, are achieving the direct opposite to what was intended.
The lights at Linenhall Street were erected by Mayo County Council last year in order to regulate the flow of traffic from the northside of town into Bridge Street and Main Street.
But locals say that instead of a smooth and orderly flow of traffic they are getting long tailbacks into Tucker Street and sometimes even around the corner into Chapel Street.
One dissatisfied person told "Open Agenda" that one lunchtime last week it took him 11 minutes to get from the Church to his place of business in Linenhall Street. "This would never happened if there were no lights in place", the resident claimed.
"As far as I am concerned these lights are totally unnecessary, more of a hindrance than a help".
TAILBACK
In order to ascertain the exact situation. I visited the Linenhall junction on last Monday morning around 10 a.m. Even though it wasn't a rush period there was still some buildup of traffic back up Linenhall Street. Motorists were kept waiting even when there was no traffic approaching from either Lucan Street or Rush Street.
Businessman Oliver Kelleher, who runs "Gifts Supreme" with his wife, Mary, said as far as he was concerned traffic flows more smoothly when the lights are out of commission.
Mr. Kelleher added: "I can understand the County Council wanting to try and improve traffic flow but my opinion is that the traffic lights aren't achieving the purpose for which they were intended.
"If a pedestrian crossing was provided at the bottom of Linenhall I think it would be quite adequate".
Local butcher Anthony Leneghan claims there have been a number of accidents on Linenhall caused by motorists rushing to beat the lights before they turned red again. "Traffic used to run more freely when there were no lights there", Mr. Leneghan maintained.
Another businessman, Adrian Coady said: "As far as I can see, nobody is in favour of the lights. All they are doing is holding up the traffic".
UNWISE
Whilst local public opinion is definitely in favour of the lights being removed, County Engineer, Joe Beirne says that would not be a wise course of action.
"If there were no lights there the junction would be quite dangerous", Mr. Beirne maintained. "I am confident that in time the public will come around to our way of thinking".
Mr. Beirne explained that there had been difficulties as regards the "timing" of the lights and this was being pursued with the supplier.
The County Engineer added that he uses the lights regularly and he was satisfied that whatever difficulties existed previously were being ironed out.
"On my way to work today (Monday) at eleven minutes past nine, I go through the lights in 40 seconds.", Mr. Beirne stated. "That can hardly be interpreted as a delay or much of an inconvenience".
Mr. Beirne also suggested that the Linenhall lights were perhaps not there long enough for the local businesspeople and motorists to have become used to them.
"There are longer delays at the lights on The Mall than at the Kingsbridge junction", he added. "Motorists have become used to The Mall lights and see the benefit of them. My feeling is that in time ...and with a few improvements to the units......the Kingsbridge lights will be accepted also".










