25 June 1997
Chance meeting brings Falklands walkers to Mayo
A chance meeting on a West Cork outpost has resulted in walkers from the Falkland Islands making an historic trip to Ireland.
Castlebar-based civil servant Sean Foley was enjoying a trek at Sheepshead Lighthouse when he met two holiday makers from the island off the Argentine coast. He told them about the unique attraction of the International Four Days Walks in Castlebar, and they could not wait to become involved.
So much so that they sent their affiliate money to the Castlebar organising committee following their return home. Now the Falklands duo will arrive in the town on Monday for the 31st anniversary event.
Said Sean Foley: "I think they will really enjoy the hospitality of Castlebar. It is the first time the Falklands will be represented in the festival."
Appeal for local support of walks
A director of the Castlebar International Four Days Walking Festival has issued an appeal for more local people to participate in the event.
Ann Cresham described as amazing the fact Castlebar walkers in the festival were significantly outnumbered by foreign participants. She explained the walks were among the most prestigious in the world, and many people in the town were missing a golden opportunity on their own doorsteps.
"The festival has enjoyed a real international flavour since its foundation 31 years ago.
"But we would like to see more people from Castlebar taking part. There is a perception out there that it is not a festival for Castlebar people.
"We are anxious to bury that myth once and for all. We would love to see more Castlebar people walking with their counterparts from around the globe."
A total of 1,200 people, representing 24 countries, walked in last year's event, bearing out chairperson Elaine Devereux's claims that Castlebar was now truly 'a walking United Nations.' Of that number, however, only 281 walkers were from Castlebar. In fact, Mayo's total representation amounted to just 300.
Mrs. Cresham said a five-mile guided walk was organised to take place each dat at 2.00p.m. during this year's festival, which runs from July 3rd to 6th, to encourage greater local involvement.
"We are hoping for a big response. We will take the walkers through some of Castlebar's most scenic countryside."
An open invitation is also issued to Castlebar people to join in the daily rambles and long walk. A group of walkers from the Falkland Islands are taking part in the event for the first time. They will be joined by groups from Japan, Holland, Australia, New Zealand and Belarus.
Members of the Dutch Air force are flying directly into Knock Airport for the festival. Five members of the Outdoor Writers Group, England, will also be making the trip to Castlebar.
The festival will open will a parade through the streets of the town on Wednesday evening, starting from the Welcome Inn Hotel at 8.00. Walkers can register for the walks up to 12.00 midnight on Wednesday, except for those taking part in the short walks.
However, the organiser are always prepared to facilitate those who arrive on Thursday morning before the walks start at 8.30a.m. The official opening will be performed by Mrs. Ita Staunton, chairperson, Castlebar Tourism Organisation.
Entertainment will be provided at the Welcome Inn Hotel on each of the five nights of the festival.
Mr. Eoin Garavan, chairman, Castlebar Urban Council, will officiate at the closing ceremony in the Welcome Inn Hotel on Sunday evening, July 8th In one of his last functions as chairman of the authority, he will present gold and silver medals as well as the European awards.
Garden Club outing
Castlebar & District Gardening Club are holding their next monthly meeting on Wednesday, July 9th, with a visit to the gardens of Peter and Wyn Aldous, Islandeady.
Names are being taken for the annual outing on July 19th to Altamont House, Tullow, Co. Carlow. Those interested should contact Wyn Aldous at 098-35278. Auctioned Meath farm
Leading Castlebar auctioneer Frank Durcan has sold a 49-acre farm in Rathbeggan, Dunshaughlin, Co. Meath, for a sum of over £469,000. It was an exceptionally good price for a farm owned by a family with Mayo connections.
Turlough Cemetery clean up
The annual clean up of Turlough Cemetery will commence shortly. It will entail the cutting of grass and general maintenance.
A collection to finance the cost will be taken up on a house to house basis in which families are asked to contribute a minimum of £5.
Those in the Castlebar area who have relatives buried in Turlough Cemetery and who wish to contribute can leave their subscriptions at the Social Services Centre, Castle Street, c\o Willie Murphy.
On a point of information, FÁS Community Work Projects no longer allow its workforce to carry out maintenance of cemeteries. So, in this instance, fundraising is essential in order for the work to be completed. Green light for headquarters
Environmental Protection Agency Headquarters
Castlebar Urban Council have granted planning permission for the new Environmental Protection Agency headquarters at the Swimming Pool Road, Castlebar.
The project is estimated to cost over £1m.
New projects sanctioned
Castlebar Urban Council have granted planning permission for a number new developments in the town.
Demolition of existing house and construction of four apartments at Thomas Street (P. McNamara).
Demolition of existing house\shop and construction of new retail shop and two apartments at Castle Street (M. Parsons).
Industrial unit at Gorteendrunagh (Tom Hoban).
Extension to No. 8 St. Bridget's Crescent (Michael Brophy).
Develop access and facade to Leisure Centre from Old McHale Road (Barcastle Properties).
Extension to front and side of house at Knockacroghery (K. Cameron).
Refurbishment of interior and single storey rear extension at the Mall (Ann Marie Whyte).
Retention of apartment at Castle Street (Kathryn Brennan).
Retention of two windows and provision of four new windows at Gorteendrunagh (Barcastle Industries).
Renovation of premises and new shop front at Linenhall Street (Pat Fadden).
In the pipeline. . .
A total of 14 new planning applications have been submitted to Castlebar Urban Council, and the list is as follows.
- Conversion of portion of first floor of former Hat Factory to apartment (A. McGuinness).
- Provision of common access lobby to existing shop and proposed retail outlets at Station Road (J. Hanley).
- Construction of four office\shop units at the Curragh (Sean Bourke).
- Revise site plan of proposed multiplex cinema at Gorteendrunagh (Barcastle Industries).
- Phase two extension to Mayo General Hospital (Western Health Board).
- Change of use, commercial to residential and retail unit at Newport Road (W. Donoghue).
- Change of house type on sites 88, 90, 91 and 92, Aglish Estate (Martin Moran).
- Revised front elevation and three apartments at Newantrim Street (P. Livingstone).
- Construction of temporary office at the Curragh (Sean Bourke).
- Three external door openings at Castlebar R.T.C. (Richard Thorn).
- Alterations and extensions to St. Gerald's College (Bro. T. Durnin).
- First floor extension to existing administration area, increase existing parapet height and alterations to approved canopy (Dunnes Stores).
- Provision of new stock mezzanine floor area and alterations to approved canopies to service yard (Dunnes Stones). Change of estate name
Members of Castlebar Urban Council will consider an application at a meeting on June 30th next to change the name of Lower Fr. Meehan Place to Maple Lawn.










