Snippets - 16 July 1997



Connaught Telegeraph16 July 1997


Patients hospitalised in salmonella outbreak

By Tom Shiel

Efforts are continuing to find the source of a major salmonella outbreak, the second in less than six months, which has led to up to 16 people being admitted to Mayo General Hospital.

A special team, trained in infection control, has been set up to contain the outbreak and determine the source of infection.

One difference between this and the January outbreak is that not as many elderly people are affected.

It is understood that a number of patients have been put into isolation as a precaution.

If not detected early, salmonella can be quite dangerous and if patients, don't receive proper attention, it can prove fatal.

Nobody was available yesterday (Tuesday) at the Western Health Board headquarters in Galway to deal with queries on the matter. However, it is understood that the majority of cases relate to the western half of the county.

Mayo County Councillor and Western Health Board member Al McDonnell has called for "maximum controls" to ensure the outbreak doesn't spread and said it was essential the food poisoning source be determined quickly.

Asahi to close but reprieve for Farah workers

A second industrial bodyblow for Mayo has been averted with the announcement yesterday (Tuesday) that 162 jobs at the Farah clothing factory have been saved.

On Monday, Farah workers voted by an overwhelming majority to accept a proposed management buyout of the enterprise having voted "No" last week to the deal.

Farah executives, who flew in from the States, indicated yesterday they were pleased that workers had rescinded their decision as it meant production at the factory could continue.

Workers had been told that unless a management buyout deal was put in place, there was no way the factory could continue in operation.

The SIPTU trade union has expressed delight at the Farah workers' decision in a week when it was officially announced that the Asahi plant in Killala will definitely close.

Kiltimagh is now the only Farah plant operating in the west following the transfer there of operations from factory from Ballyhaunis and the closure of a production facility in Galway City due to a disastrous fire.


Killawalla wind farm mooted

Plans are being mooted for a wind farm at Killawalla, Westport. The proposals could see the erection of fifteen wind turbines and an electrical sub-station at the location which is set in the west side of the Partry mountains. These hillside lands, which are owned by Pat and Brid McGing, are considered a very suitable site for such a venture.

An application seeking planning permission for the project has been submitted to Mayo County Council. The application has been made by Guenter Klempt, Natural Environmental Technology Limited on behalf of Pat and Brid McGing.

Located at Croaghrimcarra, Killawalla, the proposal seeks approval for fifteen wind turbines (TW 600 kW each) with a 3.75m wide access road and electrical sub-station on the site.

Local people have been giving positive vibes towards the project. According to land owner Pat McGing, the reaction has been "quite good." To date there has been no reaction from the ESB to the initial wind farm plans.

Meanwhile it is believed there are further plans for establishing a similar wind farm operation in the locality at a later date.

Bungalow blitzed by lightning bolt

An Artillary shell could hardly have caused more damage than the lightning bolt last week which punched holes in an attractive bungalow near Ballyvary, Castlebar.

Rubble was strewn in rooms; all power points blasted from the wall and the meter box blown to smithereens by the blast which caused thousands of pounds worth of damage to the building which is owned by Martin McKeown.

Luckily, Martin has yet to occupy the house at Aughaluskey which is in the process of being completed. Workmen had finished for the day when the thunderbolt struck around 5 p.m. on Thursday.

Martin, who works at the Baxter Plant in Castlebar, was alerted to the damage by a neighbour. He explained: "The lightning hit the gable end blowing away slates and sending pieces of brick flying through the ceiling. Hopefully, the insurance will cover the damage".

Thursday's evening storm knocked out phone lines and cut electricity supplies to hundreds of homes in the Foxford, Bohola area.

A second electrical storm on Saturday evening caused landslides which blocked roads in Erris for a time. A flash flood forced the evacuation of homes at Glencullen, Bangor Erris and caused damage estimated in the region of £1 million.

Death of Mr. George Lally, Castlebar

The death has taken place after a brief illness of Mr. George Lally, Castlebar one of Mayo's all-time great sportsmen. A native of Moneen in the town, Mr. Lally (63) was involved in all types of sport including boxing, football, cycling and athletics.

Mr. Lally, a former member of the staff of the Western Health Board, based at Mayo General Hospital, was a leading authority on sports statistics. A former president of the Castlebar branch of the PTAA, the late Mr. Lally was noted for his impressions of famed GAA commentator Michael O'Hehir.

He is survived by his brothers John, Dermot and Brendan, and sister Mrs. Elizabeth Gillespie, Ballina to whom deepest sympathy is extended.

Irish Rail hope to develop Ballina freight depot

By Deirdre Kelly

Iarnrod Eireann is backing the development of Ballina as a major freight distribution centre.

Speaking as the company faces the loss of a "substantial" contract with the withdrawal of the Asahi Killala plant, Mr. Cyril Ferris said the Ballina depot was a major asset in attracting new business to the area.

Ballina is still a major Mayo freight terminal, he said, and Iarnrod Eireann hoped to develop it as alternative freight industries arise in the area.

"Having the depot there is a bonus for attracting people to the area. We have a facility that is an asset to attracting new industry and the company are eager to attract new business."

Over the past twenty years Iarnrod Eireann has operated a daily train from Dublin, delivering chemicals for Asahi to their Ballina depot. This operation will continue until the withdrawal of Asahi at the end of the year.

Other freight customers will not lose out because of the Asahi closure. Iarnrod Eireann are to put a larger freight train in operation for deliveries in the area. Trained staff involved in the Asahi freight deliveries will also face changes as a result of the closure.

Mr. Ferris said: "The staff implications are that we have a trained crew of less than twenty people involved.

"We have a policy to redeploy staff where possible. Voluntary severance has also been offered in the past."







Connaught Telegraph - News & Sport - July 1997