History of Ballintubber in Co. Mayo

The unspoiled countryside, set against the backdrop of the Partry Mountains, is rich in history and historical sites including Ballintubber Abbey, Mayo Abbey and the round tower at Aghagower.

Ballintubber's history goes back to pre-Christian times, when people came from the east, through Ballintubber, on their way to the holy mountain on the west coast, now called Croagh Patrick.

When St Patrick brought Christianity to Ireland in c441AD, he founded a church at Ballintubber.

The present Abbey was founded in 1216 by King Cathal O'Conor. It is the only church in Ireland, still in daily use, which was founded by an Irish king.

Article from Lewis' Topographical Survey of Mayo published in 1837

Ballintubber Abbey

From the Potato Famine to the Palace

Local Historical Sites

Sean na Saggart - The Priest Hunter