Shranamonragh is situated near the main road at the lower end of the Owenduff River.
A branch means a sheep pen and thus this village gets its name from the level land alongside the river (called a sraigh) where there were many sheep pens. This is easily understandable and today there are large numbers of sheep in this area.
The Owenduff River enters its estuary here after having flowed 9 1/2 miles from the mountains- thus making it the 2nd largest river in Erris.
It contains 1,051 acres and during the Griffith valuation the flowing were occupiers of houses and land there: John Conway, Martin Monaghan. In addition William Wilks occupied a shooting lodge and offices which had a valuation of £12-5-0.
There was also a National school there at this time. It was one-roomed structure until extended in the 1920s - the present new school being built on same site in 1961.
There are no early records on hand but one of the first teachers there was John O'Boyle from Knockmoyleen. Later on there was Mr. Kearny and his wife Mary (nee Moran)- both from Newport area. Their residence is still called 'Kearneys'. He was succeeded by Mr. Michael Cafferkey, who was born in Blenkeragh and his wife, formerly Mary Connolly from Galway. He retired in December, 1936, to be succeeded by Mr. Thomas Walshe, who taught here for about two years. Then there was Mr. Meehan. Followed by Mr. Michael Sullivan. He was there from 1942-1972 and was succeeded then by Mrs. O'Dowd, formerly Mary O'Brien, whose husband then taught in Drumslide N.S. She retired in 1988 and present principle is Mrs. Mary Rooney (nee McNamara). Shranamonragh Lodge, as it is today was built in 1876 by the Lowther/ Little family, some of whom are buried in Ballina. Subsequently, it was bought by Maxwell Green of Tullyvin House, Cootehill, Co Cavan, who left the estate to his chauffeur, Mr Bernard O'Reilly, from whose estate it was purchased in 1935 by Justice Barra O'Brian. The tennis courts attached to it was built by Thomas Murray in 1947. It is now owned by the family of the late judge.
written by Martin Costello, NT