Article from Lewis' Topographical Survey 1837

BALLYHANE, or BALLYHEAN, a parish, in the barony of Carra, county of MAYO, and province of CONNAUGHT, 41/2 miles (S.by W.) from Castlebar; containing 3734 inhabitants. This parish is situated on road from Castlebar to Ballinrobe, and is principally under tillage; it contains Kilboyne House, the residence of Sir S. O'Malley, Bart. Fairs are held on July 4th, and Aug. 20th.

It is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Tuam, and forms part of the union of Burriscarra, the church of which, a neat plain edifice, is situated in this parish, and has been latily repaired by a grant of £269 from the Ecclesiastical Commissioners: the tithes amount to £165. In the R.C. divisions it is part of the union or district of Castlebar: the chapel is a good slated building.

At Drumrathcahil is a school of 76 boys and 40 girls: and there are two pay schools.

At Kinturk are the ruins a fine old castle, formerly one of the residences of Grace O'Malley.