The four roads converging on Bangor, made it a centre of importance and intercourse with Tirawley, Ballycroy, and the whole of Erris was established.
Families from those areas came and settled in and around Bangor and contributed largely to it's improvement.
The Gallaghers, the Nearys and the Lynns came from Tirawley, the Conways came from Ballycroy, and the McAndrew's who had come from Scotland, had settled earlier in Kiltane.
who were driven out of Donegal at the time of the confiscations, settled in North East Mayo, and eventually some of them found their way into Erris, via Bangor. Four families of them came, one settled in Tawnagh, one in Briska, one in Goolamore and one in Tawnascol. Their direct descendants still survive in those places.
Cather Bawn O'Galleobhair, who was a poet and mason, was a member of the family that settled in Tawnagh. He was employed by Major Bingham in building the castle on the lands of Elly and was the first to occupy Cosgrove's house after the revenue police.
Michael Gallagher who married Letitia Cormack, daughter of Major Cormack was given the Goolamore Salmon Fishery, and a son of his carried on business in the house now owned by Mr.John McAndrew.
who was an excellent stone-cutter and mason came from Dooleeg and married Maura Cosgair, Cousin of Seamus Cosgair, the poet, and settled in Briska, Seamus Cosgair was the only near relative not invited to the wedding and feeling disappointed, he went in disguise as a beggar-man known as an 'Dochartach' and composed a long song in which he denounced all except the bride.
John Lynn's sons were all highly skilled in stonework.
Pat Lynn carved out the beautiful stone cross erected on the south gable of Bangor Chapel, and Thomas cut out and engraved the large tombstone over the grave of Seamus Cosgair in Kiltane Cemetery. The Lynn's were extensive contractors and many schools and bridges in Erris.
In Bangor they built the Chapel in 1855, Mr. Fitzgerald's in 1873, the National School in 1888, Miss Hickson's in 1906, Mr. O' Reilly's drapery in 1907 and Mr. Pat Cosgrove's in 1918.
settled in Shragraddy where they erected a corn mill and a woollen mill and in 1856 some of the family came to Shrahanarry, adjoining Bangor, and erected another corn mill, a woollen mill and a kiln for drying corn.
Those mills were in operation until 1900, and their remains are now to be seen to the south of the road, about 150 yards South East of Bangor School.
who were driven from Donegal in the Seventeenth century, settled in Ballycroy. James Conway lived in Logduff, and one branch of his family came and settled in Shramore and another in Shragraddy, convenient to Bangor in 1841.
Father Michael Conway, who was parish priest of Bangor, and his brother most Rev. Dr. Hugh Conway - Bishop of Killala from 1872-1893, were members of the family that settled in Shramore.
Pat Conway who bought and repaired the public house (now owned by his grandson, Mr. Hugh Conway) belonged to the family that settled in Shragraddy.
who had settled in Kiltane, was married to a woman named McManamon from Newport. Father Manus Sweeney was her cousin, and she travelled with her eldest son along the pathway already referred to in his execution in Newport, where she saw him hang from the market crane on the 8th of June.
In 1799 Seamus Cosgair, the poet who was born in Briska in 1775 and died in 1847, mentions Pat McAndrew in one of his songs "Earrach and Fheannta" as being the most extensive stockowner in Erris at the time.
His grandson, named McAndrew owned the house now occupied by lodgers, and the following year Mr. John McAndrew introduced the first motor car for hackney purposes.
Put together by the 5th & 6th class pupils of Bangor National School.