Major Bingham built the first house in Bangor in 1798, as a barrack for revenue police. It was roofed with very thick slates brought from a slate quarry in Glenturk called "Poll na Selatai". These slates were replaced by others in later years, the whole house undergoing many alterations in the meantime.
When the yeomen were retreating into Erris after the capture of Ballina by Humbert they delayed at that house and shot a man named Harte who attempted to run away when he saw them approach. Mr. James Cosgrove is the owner of that house at present.
A second house was built south of the Barrack, and Major Bingham, having obtained a licence for the sale of intoxicating drink in it, brought one of the Protestant settlers named Robert Burns from inside the Mullet to manage it.
It is the oldest public house in Erris and is owned at present by Mrs. M. Murphy. Those two houses at the east-side of the village were the only two built in Bangor prior to the construction of the Central Road from Castlebar to Belmullet.
It will be noticed that their gables face the road, which runs between them. While all the other houses along the street run parallel to it.
When the road was constructed as far as Bangor, a shop, a hotel, and a lodge were built. Those houses are occupied at present by Mr. James Lynn, Mr. John McAndrew and the Garda Síochána.
Put together by the 5th & 6th class pupils of Bangor National School.