The town park, known as The Mall, was once the cricket pitch of Lord Lucan and his family. It is the heart of Castlebar where the Courthouse and County Council offices are located.
It got its name from the double line of trees running from the Holy Trinity Church of Ireland to the Lucan homestead known as The Lawn. It was donated to the people of the town in 1888 by the 4th Earl of Lucan. The present trees surrounding this fine park were planted around 1870.
The Neo-Romanesque style Old Methodist Church is one of the oldest buildings in the town, the foundation stone was blessed by John Wesley in 1785.
The towns strong connections with the 1798 Rising are commemorated by the Monument on The Mall, erected on the 150th anniversary of the event. John Moore who was appointed first President of Connacht on August 31, 1798 is buried next to the monument.
He held the title for just a single week after which he was captured by the British and imprisoned. He died shortly afterwards and was buried in Waterford.
In 1961 his remains were exhumed and reinterred in The Mall.