CROSSBOYNE, a parish, in the barony of CLANMORRIS, county of MAYO, and province of CONNAUGHT, 2 miles (S.E.) from Claremorris, on the road to Tuam; containing 5765 inhabitants.
This parish comprises 9277 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act, and valued at £6058 per annum. The land is good, and agriculture is gradually improving on the lands of the gentry, although modern implements are not generally adopted by the farmers; there is plenty of bog for fuel, and limestone is also found here.
The surrounding scenery is richly diversified with wood and water; there are several delightful demesnes, of which the principal are Castlemagarett, the seat of Lord Oranmore, situated in a noble domain enriched with excellent timber; Brookhill, the residence of J.Lambert, Esq.; Farmhill, of E.D. Gonne Bell, Esq.; Prospect, of F. Crean, Esq.; and the residence of the Rev.W. Crofton, rector. The village of Ballindine, or Ballindangan, in this parish, is described under its own head.
The living is a vicarage, in the diocese of Tuam, and in the patronage of the Archbishop; the rectory is partly appropriate to the dean of Tuam and the prebendary of Killabegs in the cathedral of Tuam, and partly impropriate in S. Lindsey Bucknall, Esq. The tithes amount to £307.1.5 half. of which £62. 6. 1half. Is payable to the impropriator, £209.18.4half. To the incumbent, and the remainder to the dean and prebendary.
The glebe-house was crected by aid of a gift of £100, and a loan of £300, in 1822, from the late Board of First Fruits: the glebe comprises four arces. The church is a plain old building with a chancel and a new tower, which was erected by aid of a loan of £350 in 1819, from the same Board; the Ecclesiastical Commissioners have recently granted £268 for its repair.
In the R.C. divisions this parish is the head of two unions or districts, called Crossboyne and Ballindangan; the former comprises part of the parish of Crossboyne and the entire of that of Taugheen, and contains three chapels, one of which is a large slated building at Crossboyne; in the Ballindangan district are two chapels, one in the village of that name, and the other at Drymills.
Lord Oranmore gives £10 per ann. towards the support of a grammar school; and his lady has a school at Ballindangan, towards which she allows £15 per annum, where the children are taught needlework and the manufacture of straw-plat.
The Rev. Mr. Crofton also supports a school in connection with the Tuam diocesan Society. The old fortress of Castlemagarrett is in ruins; in the demesne of Brookhill are several Druidical or Danish remains, and a choice collection of plants.
In Crossboyne churchyard there are many ancient monuments of a rude character; and near Prospect House is a chalybeate spring, the water of which is valuable as a tonic.