This Church of Ireland Cathedral was built between 1671 and 1680 on the site of the original one which was demolished in 1670. In the south wall, it incorporates a pointed moulded doorway from the former Cathedral.
It is a Gothic type building with the tower added later and the squire dating from 1816. The gallery, with the Telford Organ, was also added later. It has Cannon’s stalls at the west end and a bishop’s throne.
A souterrain was discovered to the east of the Cathedral and it is believed this formed a passage for secret communication between the Cathedral and the Round Tower.
Source: 'North Mayo Historical & Arch. Society 1985'; Article by the Rt. Rev. John Coote-Duggan