From the historic apparition, on the 21st August 1879, the Shrine of our Lady of Knock has grown to international recognition as a Marian Shrine, comparable to all the major Marian Shrines in the world. Consequently this tranquil village in County Mayo, just off the N17, has become a place of pilgrimage for more than 1.5 million pilgrims each year.
The village of Knock is very accessible by road, rail and air. There are bus stops in Knock within a short walking distance of the Shrine grounds. The following routes are served: No 21, Dublin/Athlone/Westport, No 52, Galway/Castlebar/Westport/Ballina, No 64, Galway/Ireland West Airport Knock/Sligo/Derry. The nearest railway station in nearby Claremorris (11km), is on the Dublin Heuston - Westport line. A shuttle bus and taxi service operates between Claremorris railway station and Knock during the pilgrimage season. Ireland West Airport Knock is 20km, Dublin 220km, Galway and Sligo 70km.