St Patrick, Missouri, USA
some of the History

Come see our "Little Bit of Ireland"
in the Northeast Missouri Hills

From Ireland to America came the immigrants, bringing with them customs, music, faith and love. They used a symbol proclaiming love for both countries - the harp for Ireland and the eagle for America.

Their Descendants would inherit this way of life. Some of these Irish Catholics settled St Patrick, Missouri in 1833. Over 100 yrs later (1935) a young Irish priest, Fr Francis O'Duignan (born in Co. Longford Ireland) came to St Patrick.

PhotoHe dreamed of building a Shrine that would do honor to St Patrick, in a country where millions of Irishmen had found refuge. What better place than St Patrick, Missouri . . . the only town in the world (with a post office) bearing the name of Ireland's patron saint.

Knowing the task was too great for a small farming community, Fr O'Duignan sent letters all over the world asking for donations - and on each letter he placed the shamrock cachet, he designed in 1936, stating

St Patrick, Missouri
'The Only One in the World'

PhotoHe believed St Patrick would bless all who aided in making this Missouri Shrine possible. His dream was realized when the Shrine of St Patrick was dedicated March 17, 1957. The style was Celtic, complete with Celtic crosses, round bell tower and 37 stained glass windows made in Dublin, Ireland. It was fashioned after the Church of Four Masters in Donegal, Ireland.

The post office has played an important role in St Patrick, since it was first granted in 1858. Traditionally, each year, letters come from all over the world to be mailed on March 17th with the special green shamrock cachet, along with the traditional regulation postmark. It takes the cancellation and shamrock cachet to change an ordinary envelope into a collector's item.

St Patrick Missouri Celebrations

Preparations are now under way for the St Patrick's Day and if you want mail from St Patrick you will need to contact us.

Some historical facts about St Patrick, Missouri

1827

Diocese of St Louis

1832

Fr P. Lafevre - Circuit Rider

1833

North Santa Fe settled by Richard and Rose Simpson Riney

1834

Log Church

1838

Bishop Joseph Rosati purchased 80 acres for church land

1846

Fr Denis Byrne - First resident Pastor

1852

First organized Catholic congregation in Clark County

1854

Fr B.P. McMenomy sold 10 acres of church land and platted St Marysville

1858

Fr McMenomy re-named it St Patrick to obtain a Post Office

1858

John McSorley - First Postmaster

1860

Brick Church

1861

Brick Rectory

1867

First July 4th Picnic

1903

White Frame Church

1909

School

1912

Changed to Diocese of St Joseph

1923

Photo of postcardSt Patrick statue placed on front of the School Postcard ---->

About 1925

Convent

1928

Fr Tom Dempsey, Pastor - worked to gravel the dirt road - Route Z - now Dempsey Highway

1935

Fr Francis O'Duignan, Pastor

1936

Fr O'Duignan designed the shamrock cachet for March 17 letters

1951

New Rectory

1956

Changed to Diocese of Jefferson City

1957

Shrine of St Patrick Dedicated

1968

School Closed

Early 1970's

Convent and School torn down - St Patrick statue placed in front of Shrine

1979

First envelope (Anna Longsdon) first special cancel

1984

First Church Envelope

1988

Shrine Museum

1996

Special March 17th postmark could be used March 1 - I 7 for the first time

1997

Special March 17th postmark could be used March 1-30 for the first time

2000

First special March 17th envelope and postmark of the new century and Millennium

2007

50th Anniversary of the Shrine Dedication