Michael Davitt Bridge was built in 1886 and before the opening people used to reach the mainland via fording places at low tide.
The fording places were located at Gob a’ Choire toward Corraun Peninsula and Chongie River near the new Michael Davitt Bridge.
Locals used to say wildlife started to decrease on the island when the bridge was opened. The bridge gave access to foxes and other predators.
Also, at the beginning of the nineteenth century Alexander Hector got from the Achill Mission the right to hunt throughout Achill, and the truth is that this caused the demise of many species of fauna on the island.