The Ballina Stephenites Club was founded on the last Saturday of August 1886 by James Wallace Melvin and the inaugural meeting was held at the top of Convent Hill in 'Barney's Boreen'. Under the pen name 'Larry Doolan', Melvin also wrote the Club's rallying song 'Forward to the goal of victory'.
The first President of Stephenites Club was Tom Courell, 'Cappy' Fitzgerald was Secretary and Michael Connolly was Treasurer.
A short time later Ballina Stephenites were affiliated to the Mayo County Board and played their first official fixture in Jones' Field in Ardnaree against Commercials Junior. The Club went on to win 13 consecutive Senior Football Championships between 1904 - 1916 and 2 Archbishop Croke Cups in 1908 and 1909.
In 1933 James Stephens Park was opened by Ballina native P.J. Rutledge, the then Minister for Justice.
The Club hosted 2 GAA Congress weeks in 1984 and 1985 and "Welcome Home Week" in 1984 - the Centenary year of the GAA.
The Club has produced 3 GAA Football All-Stars in - Kevin McStay, Jimmy Browne and Liam McHale. In 2005 a team captained by Brian Ruane defeated Portlaoise to win the Andy Merrigan cup as All Ireland Senior Club Football Champions.
Ballina Stephenites still prosper and strive to be at or near the summit of GAA activities at local and national level ever since.
Ballina Stephenites Club has made significant investment in its amenities over the years and continues to develop many facilities which include their main pitch, dressing rooms, gym, squash courts, viewing room, bar and a spacious hall used for Bingo, Badminton, Plays, Quizzes etc.
Ballina Stephenites Supporters Club was set up in 1998 to fundraise for and nurture the footballing needs of the players. Every year, the Supporters Club organise a number of events such as the Annual Panto, an Annual Golf Classic, Treasure Hunt and Darts Tournaments.
Each year a 'Supporter of the Year' award is presented to a worthy recipient who is considered to be a stalwart supporter of Club events and activities.