Claggan - means headland, is in the Southern extreme of the parish near Tonragee, off Achill with which there used to be a ferry service in former days. It contains 1.067 acres and the East and West side being distinguished by being called Claggan O'Donnell and Claggan Cafferkey respectively.
It was the first landing place of the O'Donnells on their travels from Ulster as stated elsewhere in this article.
Surnames during the Griffith time valuation in the 36 houses were as follows John Gallagher, John Masterson, Joseph Mullins, Peter McManamon, Owen Brogan, John Calvey, Maria Kennedy, Peter Fay, John Mc Ginty, Martin McNeel, Michael Calvey, Anne Mc Neela, James Mc Manamon, Anne Cusack, Owen Langan, Peter O'Boyle, Peter Corrigan, Edmond Calvey, Cornelius Mc Manamon, John O'Donnell, Neal O'Donnell (son), Johanna Langan, Patrick Fallon, Winifred Murray, Nial O'Donnell Jnr, Thomas Leneghan, Jack Mc Neela, John Calvey, Owen Calvey, Michael Langan, Michael Mc Ginty, James Brogan, Hugh O'Malley, Patrick Calvey and George Clive, whose place was the highest valued, the buildings along being £30- 0-0.
Teach Fiontaire or the House of St Fintan, is the site of a small church near Claggan graveyard. He was the author of the "Pagan History of Ireland" and is said to have lived to a very old age. At he nearby well, which is dedicated to him, a station was performed on three Saturdays before 15th August.
In Claggan there is a fine stately building known as the Rock House - surrounded by various trees / shrubbery imported and planted there by local landlords, especially Thomas Birch, who died in 1868, and by his successor Edward H. Clive.
The result of their endeavours was a modern farm using up-to-date machinery and giving considerable local employment. Silage which many consider a present - day method of farming, was harvested in Claggan many years ago.
written by Martin Costello, NT