Drumgallagh - got its name from the many standing stones (or galláns), to be found there or perhaps it means the Hill of the Hazel or Sally Rods.
It contains 550 acres and householders then were John Corrigan, Michael Corrigan, Brian Maguire, Patrick Donnellan, James Corrigan, Edmond Corrigan, Thomas Donnelly, Henry McManamon and Daniel Doherty, there being also a school owned by the Board of Education. The landlord was George Clive, who lived nearby in Claggan.
In Drumgallagh there is also a Cromlech to be found and an ancient court-cairn. The National School there opened in July, 1862, and the first recorded pupils there were John Crampton, William Darrington, Daniel O'Boyle, Noel O'Donnell, Mary O'Donnell, James Gallagher and Mary Leneghan.
The first teacher there was Patrick Cormack, who remained there for about ten years. Other principals were as follows: Mr. P. McManamon, Mr.Rowland, Mr. Barrett, Mr. W.Walshe, Mr. McGrath, Mr. Bowler, Mr. Cannon, Mr. P. Ball, Mr. P.J. Barrins, Mr. J. McBride, Mr. E. McBride, Mr. Martin Costello, Miss Mary Jo Corrigan and at the present time, Mrs. Mary Sweeney (nee McGreal).
written by Martin Costello, NT