Gortbrack, which means spotted or speckled garden, is situated near the centre of the parish and adjacent to the main road.
The total area is 1,115 acres and contained during the valuation, 13 houses, including offices. Householders living here then were as follows: Jeremiah Conway, Edmond Molloy, Patrick McFaddin, Owen O'Boyle, Hugh Goghan, Michael Conway, James Conway, John Conway, Michael Gallagher, Michael Daly, Patrick McManamon - the landlord being the representatives of Alick Richey.
The old R.C. Church, which was destroyed by the storm during the 'night of the big wind' - January, 1839, was built on the hillside nearby and near the original main road through the village. It was a thatched structure beside the house of a Martin Conway and the outline of its foundations are still visible. Its cross, part of which is broken, can be seen in the yard of the present church. Fr. McDermott, during his term in Ballycroy, resided in this village.
The road from Lettera through this village to Knockmoyleen was the main road through the parish in early times.
written by Martin Costello, NT