Knockmoyleen - Its name tells us that it is a hill with the bare rock showing on top. It is 432ft in height. The townland contains 1,459 acres and had 28 occupied houses at the time of valuation.
The householders then were Francis Cormack, Rev. Patrick Reilly, John Henery, Martin Cleary Jnr, Bridget Frency, Sarah Quinn, Michael Leneghan, Alicia Corrigan, Michael Corrigan, Francis O'Boyle, Martin Cleary Snr, Constantine Cleary, Edmund Deane, Johanna Barrett, John Doherty, Peter Doherty, Michael Cleary, Anthony Doherty, John Moran, Patrick Ginty, Peter O'Donnell, James Nixon, Bridget Moran, John Keane, as well as Constabulary Force, which had a house leased from Rev. Michael McDermott until 1870 when they then moved to a lodge owned by Clive in Tallagh East - which was eventually evacuated during the troubles.
A John Moran had a forge here then. A son of Richard Barrett, the famous Erris poet, lived here before moving on to join the Constabulary and is buried in Castlerea.
Palmers Estate in Ballycroy passed to Sir Alan Bellingham, who established a farm at Knockmoyleen. The oldest surviving building connected with his farm is prospect Lodge. The manager there was a man named Smithwick and primitive methods of farming were used e.g. ploughing with specially imported cattle. The family seat of the Bellinghams is in Co. Louth and their Estate in Ballycroy became the first to be acquired by the Congested District between 1906 and 1910 some of the tenants were re-settled in Bunmore- the adjoining townland.
There is a field here known as the race course: it being the venue for horse racing and sporting activities during the last century.
written by Martin Costello, NT