Sheeanmore & Shraduggan, Ballycroy in Co. Mayo

Sheeanmore is situated on the upper ends of Owenduff River and means big Fairy Hill.

Its area is 2,651 acres and at the time of the valuation had one occupied house-namely that of Thomas Maguire (Bryan), Anthony Maguire and James Maguire (Bryan). Soon afterwards, in 1885, a fishing lodge was constructed here by Lady Bellinghan and it is said that it was first occasion in the part of the country when cement was used. The Red Deal and pitch pine timber, plus other materials, were brought to Tallagh Quay by the hooker and transported from there to Sheeane by oxen and carts. It is now owned by the Craigie family of Dublin.

The school in the village was opened on the 22nd February, 1911, and was held in the Cafferkey and Keane houses. First pupils enrolled there were Denis O'Donnell, Niall Conway, J.J. McManamon, Elizabeth McManamon, Mary Cafferkey, Margaret Cafferkey, and Kate Conway.

In the year after the closure of the school in Tarsaghaun. the structure was moved to Sheeane until it eventually closed in April, 1970, Teachers there were Mr. Walshe, Mr. Naughton, Miss Conway, Miss Kennedy, Miss Lynott, Miss Tully, Miss Donaghue, Miss M. J Corrigan.

Shraduggan - It means Duggan's Shraigh or low-lying place on the banks of a river and is situated near mountains on one of the tributaries of the Owenduff River. There were herd's houses here and the land was owned by George Clive.

written by Martin Costello, NT