Important Dates of Castlebar in Co. Mayo

1240: Barry's Castle (Caislean a' Bharraig) built by member of the Barry family from Buttevant, Co Cork

1611: Castlebar granted a borough charter

1720: Dalys Hotel built

1739: Holy Trinity Church of Ireland built

1750: Spencer Park House built

1785: Methodist evangelist , John Wesley, laid foundation stone for Weslyan Church

1786: Jail built

1786: Aglish Manor, Lord Lucans house built

1780s: 1st Lord Spencer married Lord Lucans daughter

1790: Linen Hall built by Lord Lucan

1796: George Robert Fitzgerald hanged

1798: The "Races of Castlebar"

1828: Holy Trinity Church of Ireland renovated

1828: Connaught Telegraph founded

1830: Old Courthouse built

1831: Convent gate built

1834: Military Barracks built

1835: Jail converted to County Hospital

1842: First admissions to Workhouse

1845: OMalleys monument erected

1852: Birth in Main St of inventor Louis Brennan

1865: Kirk Church built

1866: Opening of Saint Mary's Hospital

1879: Michael Davitt and Charles Parnell founded National Land League

1888: The Mall given to the town

1888: Ernie O'Malley born in Ellison St

1889: Birth of Margaret Burke Sheridan

1899: Jan, 1st - City Council elected for Castlebar

1899: April, 1st Mayo County Council elected

1901: Church of Holy Rosary built

1902: Birth of bandleader Stephen Garvey

1922: Military Barracks badly damaged by fire during Civil War

1939: Opening of Hat Factory

1994: Start of RTC campus(Galway-Mayo Institute of Technology), Castlebar