These are articles relating to the area from Lewis' Topographical Survey and which contain statistics from the first complete census of Ireland which was taken in 1831. The parishes of Breaffy and Turlough are situated within a few miles of the County Town of Castlebar.
Back in the early years of the 1830’s, the village of Breaffy had a population of over 2,300 inbabitants, while Turlough had almost 7,000 people residing in the area. The greater Castlebar area, which included the town, was inhabited by some 11,000 people and was still under the control of the Bingham family at the time in which this survey was conducted.
The complete findings of Lewis’ Survey are contained in the articles below.